[RESOLVED] DHCP server settings of Archer C80 will be restored or changed once it reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[RESOLVED] DHCP server settings of Archer C80 will be restored or changed once it reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-09 09:07:50 - last edited 2023-02-08 10:34:36

This Article Applies to:

Archer C80_V1_1.12.0 Build 221010

Archer A8_V1_1.12.0 Build 221010

Archer C64_V1_1.12.0 Build 221010

Archer A64_V1_1.12.0 Build 221010

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

After upgrading the router firmware to the latest 1.12.0 version, some customers report the DHCP server settings of the router will restore to the default or change to a random one if they reboot the router. This may break down their network, since some build their own DNS servers locally and some require a fixed LAN IP address of the router.

Available Solution:

Please check for the updates on your router web GUI or Tether App for the new firmware, update and install the latest official firmware on the router, then observe if the issue gets resolved.

Or you can download the latest official version from the local website and upgrade the firmware manually as follows:

How to Upgrade the firmware version of TP-Link Wireless Router

Please let me know if this helps or not. Thank you very much.

Options
12 Reply
Re:DHCP server settings of Archer C80 will be restored or changed once it reboots
2022-12-11 05:35:13
Thanks for this post. Have updated as you advised. The last update also made me automatically log out of the network randomly. One question, can we go back to the normal firmware channel since this new one is a beta?
Options
Re:DHCP server settings of Archer C80 will be restored or changed once it reboots
2022-12-12 01:24:59

Jai86 wrote

Thanks for this post. Have updated as you advised. The last update also made me automatically log out of the network randomly. One question, can we go back to the normal firmware channel since this new one is a beta?

@Jai86 Can you please explain this in more details?  "The last update also made me automatically log out of the network randomly."

Yes, you can downgrade and install the official firmware if you like. Just download the official firmware from the website, then unzip it and upgrade it like you did with the beta firmware.

Options
2022-12-12 15:42:07 - last edited 2022-12-12 17:17:40

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for helping me updating my Archer C80 router with beta firmware to fix all the issue related to DNS and DHCP.

After applying the new firmware and the beta firmware in Archer C80, which introduced EasyMesh, I have noticed one bug, which preventing me utilizing exiting OneMesh compatible extender RE300. There is no information on it future update with EasyMesh support, but only reason I bought this extender as it was compatible with my Archer C80 OneMesh. After updating to EasyMesh, I am no longer able to use this extender from my Laptop (HP Probook 440 G8). Extender is placed in my room, Earlier while entering room, usually my laptop automatically gets connected to extender or if I just disable and enable the WiFi, it gets connected to to extender, but now no matter what I do, my laptop never getting connected to the extender, strangely my other IOT, TV and phone get's connected to extender. This was not the case with OneMesh.

Another thing I noticed, my Android TV started showing duplicate AP names for mesh network after this update. This is really confusing, especially while I had all the compatible devices, now all on a sudden my router having different mesh network support and my extender is another.

I am also little concerned about this specific statement in this topic related to EasyMesh (What is Wi-Fi EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders? - Home Network Community)

Q2. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh products together with TP-Link OneMesh™ or Deco Mesh products?

No. Wi-Fi EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh use different technologies, so they are not compatible in building a Mesh network.
Refer to the QA below for the main differences between EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh.

If this statement is true, then I would really want to know why this sudden update pushed to procution system on multiple routers whithout making it compliant with range extenders those support OneMesh, this is really problemetic for many other users like me, as I am quite sure that I am not the only person who bought RE300 for  creating OneMesh network in home.

Regards, Saugata D.
Options
2022-12-13 01:44:54

@iAmSaugata 

iAmSaugata wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for helping me updating my Archer C80 router with beta firmware to fix all the issue related to DNS and DHCP.

After applying the new firmware and the beta firmware in Archer C80, which introduced EasyMesh, I have noticed one bug, which preventing me utilizing exiting OneMesh compatible extender RE300. There is no information on it future update with EasyMesh support, but only reason I bought this extender as it was compatible with my Archer C80 OneMesh. After updating to EasyMesh, I am no longer able to use this extender from my Laptop (HP Probook 440 G8). Extender is placed in my room, Earlier while entering room, usually my laptop automatically gets connected to extender or if I just disable and enable the WiFi, it gets connected to to extender, but now no matter what I do, my laptop never getting connected to the extender, strangely my other IOT, TV and phone get's connected to extender. This was not the case with OneMesh.

Kevin_Z: Can I know how did you confirm that the laptop cannot connect to the extender? You can only connect to the extender in your room (the C80 is far away)? Even though the RE300 doesn't support EasyMesh, it should be able to build Onemesh network with C80.

Can you please confirm if the RE300 is still showing up on the C80's Onemesh device list?

What is the current firmware version of the RE300? Please also update it to the latest version.

Another thing I noticed, my Android TV started showing duplicate AP names for mesh network after this update. This is really confusing, especially while I had all the compatible devices, now all on a sudden my router having different mesh network support and my extender is another.

Kevin_Z: The EasyMesh and Onemesh router will emit hidden networks, which are used for building the EasyMesh/Onemesh wireless backhaul. I'm surprised to see that the Android TV can see these hidden networks.

Is this FreeNet_plus the Guest Network that you are enabled on the C80?

I am also little concerned about this specific statement in this topic related to EasyMesh (What is Wi-Fi EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders? - Home Network Community)

Q2. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh products together with TP-Link OneMesh™ or Deco Mesh products?

No. Wi-Fi EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh use different technologies, so they are not compatible in building a Mesh network.
Refer to the QA below for the main differences between EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh.

If this statement is true, then I would really want to know why this sudden update pushed to procution system on multiple routers whithout making it compliant with range extenders those support OneMesh, this is really problemetic for many other users like me, as I am quite sure that I am not the only person who bought RE300 for  creating OneMesh network in home.

Kevin_Z: No worries. As I said in the above, even though the RE300 won't support EasyMesh (it's currently not listed in the EasyMesh Compatibility List), it can still build a Onemesh network with the C80.

Options
2022-12-13 10:27:55 - last edited 2022-12-13 10:49:36

Kevin_Z wrote

@iAmSaugata 

iAmSaugata wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z: Can I know how did you confirm that the laptop cannot connect to the extender? You can only connect to the extender in your room (the C80 is far away)? Even though the RE300 doesn't support EasyMesh, it should be able to build Onemesh network with C80.

I have placed my Archer C80 in dining room, and I am in my TV / WFH room (previous picture), from here all my devices are getting connected to RE300, except my Laptop, no matter where I am, it is only getting connected to Archer C80. I have tried completely removing all the saved AP in Windows 11 (Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHzIntel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz), but no luck.

Can you please confirm if the RE300 is still showing up on the C80's Onemesh device list?

Yes, it is in the EasyMesh list on Archer C80.

What is the current firmware version of the RE300? Please also update it to the latest version.

Firmware Version is 1.0.8 Build 20211126 Rel. 67847, which is the latest one available.

Kevin_Z: The EasyMesh and Onemesh router will emit hidden networks, which are used for building the EasyMesh/Onemesh wireless backhaul. I'm surprised to see that the Android TV can see these hidden networks.

This started only after upgrade, it was fine earlier.

Is this FreeNet_plus the Guest Network that you are enabled on the C80?

FreeNet_plus is extended WiFi configured on TL-WA855RE for ground floor,  main router and RE300 in on first floor.

If this statement is true, then I would really want to know why this sudden update pushed to production system on multiple routers without making it compliant with range extenders those support OneMesh, this is really problematic for many other users like me, as I am quite sure that I am not the only person who bought RE300 for  creating OneMesh network in home.

Kevin_Z: No worries. As I said in the above, even though the RE300 won't support EasyMesh (it's currently not listed in the EasyMesh Compatibility List), it can still build a Onemesh network with the C80

Thanks for the confirmation

@Kevin_Z 

Regards, Saugata D.
Options
2022-12-13 12:09:39

@iAmSaugata 

Thank you very much for all the detailed info.

Can you please confirm how many extenders are you using in this C80's network, except the RE300 and WA855RE, are there other extenders?

What if you remove the RE300 from the Onemesh/EasyMesh Device list and connect it to the C80 network just like normal extender (without mesh), will this laptop connect to the RE300 extended network?

Would you mind resetting the RE300 and reconfiguring it?

Options
2022-12-13 17:21:20

Kevin_Z wrote

@iAmSaugata 

Can you please confirm how many extenders are you using in this C80's network, except the RE300 and WA855RE, are there other extenders?

What if you remove the RE300 from the Onemesh/EasyMesh Device list and connect it to the C80 network just like normal extender (without mesh), will this laptop connect to the RE300 extended network?

Sure, I will reset and reconfigure and will update.

Regards, Saugata D.
Options
2022-12-14 17:51:43 - last edited 2022-12-15 06:12:46

Kevin_Z wrote

@iAmSaugata 

@Kevin_Z 

Other than RE300 and WA855RE, I have configured one more extender configured using old MI router (AP Name : FreeNet-Thunder), this is for my garage cameras, it is working as expected.

As suggested, I have reset my RE300 and reconfigured it with OneMesh, but no luck, it is still same, I am not able to connect it from Laptop.

You can see the following screenshot, check the signal strength of access point (FreeNet_5G) before connecting.

As soon as I connect, signal dropped significantly, because,it is connected to Router, not the RE300.

Additionally for testing, I have removed RE300 from OneMesh, and created normal extender, and I am able to connect it from my Laptop without having any problem.

Please help me fix this issue, I am having difficulties accessing internet from Laptop.

Update:

After reconfiguring RE300 with OneMesh, my SetTop Box no longer connecting to RE300, which is just beside the TV. It is saying connected when I try, but not able to get the IP, if i turn off RE300, then it is getting connected immediately to the same origin AP from router.

Regards, Saugata D.
Options
2022-12-15 02:17:15

@iAmSaugata 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I will forward your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2022-12-17 09:34:34 - last edited 2022-12-17 09:34:58

Kevin_Z wrote

@iAmSaugata 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I will forward your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

@Kevin_Z 

All the issues related to joining OneMesh network using this beta firmware forced me to downgrade my Archer C80 to v1.11.30 Build 220624 Rel.50807n(5553). As soon I did that, all the issues are gone, my laptop and set top box immediately getting connected to RE300, my Android TV no longer seeing duplicate AP.

All the issues I faces are well documented here, and I am quite sure it can be reproduce in Lab with similar type of setup.

I am working on IT industry for past 15 years, and trust me I do know how a bug can impact actual production environment if it published without proper testing. having internet connectivity is very important today, and if any update like this pushed without all the necessary testing, can cause lot's of noise. I am using this setup in home, but just imagine this setup running on a small business. It will be nightmare.

I really appreciate the way you and TP-Support helped me fixing initial DHCP related issue, but still my personal suggestion would be conducting rigorous testing with all the possible scenarios before pushing any further update to any router, as form end-user perspective, we do not have any other option than trusting the hardware vendor blindly.

Regards, Saugata D.
Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 2849

Replies: 12

Related Articles