Network Jitter between device and next Deco - Unable to play online games

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-12 00:05:59
Tags: #jitter
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20220429 Rel.1970

Hi,

Recently I have been experiencing very bad network jitter or latency jumps (jump between low to high latency). It's now so bad that I'm unable to game online without dragging out a LAN cable and connecting via wire cross the room.

I've rebooted the network and run a network congestion check, Network diagnostics says "Perfect".

I have the Deco setup in router mode (Fiber box and LAN cable directly to the main Deco). Then one Deco is on WiFi (low priority location) and the third is connected to the Main Deco with a LAN cable. Here is my rough Topology (Ping tested from PC to the Deco 2h):

I ran a ping test from my PC (over wifi) to the Deco "2h" it is connected to (5 meters away in straight line of sight). The ping/jitter between them is terrible, as pictured: Very bad stability and I have seen jumps to 1000 and 1500 ms also...

Here is the same ping test but when the PC is LAN connected to the Deco "2h" (no issues):

Any Idea how to resolve this? Is there a way to check if an older version of the firmware might be better?

Other notes:

• This is not my PC since I have tested the same with my mobile phone (terminal) and I notice high latency jumps on my PlayStation 5 also and get disconnected from games while on WiFi.
  • I have also tried disabling "Mesh" mode for the device (PC) with no change.
  • IPv6 is disabled in Deco

Options
4 Reply
Re:Network Jitter between device and next Deco - Unable to play online games
2022-12-12 11:48:07

@skuliaxe 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you tried to connect the PC by WiFi to the main Deco and ping the LAN IP 192.168.68.1 as well? Would the ping jump dramatically?

For testing purposes, could you please also turn off "Fast Roaming" and "Beamforming" to see whether there would be any difference?

And did the issue just start recently?

Wait for your reply.

best regards.

Options
2022-12-12 15:04:47

@David-TP With further testing, as you suggested, the problem seems to be with just that one Deco AP.

Fastroaming has always been OFF.

Beamforming has always been ON. I turned it off and the results where the same, so I turned it on again.

Testing other Decos:

I have one Deco on each floor in my house:

0h (Basement - Main Deco and LAN connected from Fiber box)

1h (Ground Floor - WiFi connected)
2h (Second Floor - LAN connected to Main in basement)

The issue seems only be with the "2h" second floor Deco device. Here are the results:

PC (laptop) WiFi connected to 2h Deco (as pictured previously):

PC (laptop) WiFi connected to 0h Deco (much better):

PC (laptop) WiFi connected to 1h Deco (also much better, this Deco is WiFi connected to the other Decos):

What could be wrong with the 2h Deco? Should I reset it?

Options
2022-12-13 03:41:21

@skuliaxe 

Thank you very much for the further details.

Before a hardware reset, I think you could try to switch the location of 2h Deco and 1h Deco to see whether the same issue also followed the same 2h Deco even if it is connected to WiFi this time.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-13 14:14:55

@David-TP 
I swapped the two Decos (1h ground floor and 2h second floor) and the problem does not seem to follow the device, rather stays as a problem on the second floor.

Test to 2h (WiFi connected to Main Deco/Mesh), used to have latency spikes now located on the ground floor. Still has two spikes but vastly better than before...

Test to 1h (LAN connected to MAIN Deco/Mesh), now on second floor. This Deco had no latency spikes yesterday when located on ground floor.. now upstairs and behaves the same as the Deco with issues before:

If this is a location issues, then I am quite surprised. The second floor has no major appliances. One Sonos Play1 and one RFID/Bluetooth enabled LED strip which I disconnected from power and there where no changes. Other than that, just normal electrical lights and a Playstation.

I tested the Deco on the second floor also as a Deco WiFi connected to the mesh to see if the LAN cable was faulty and the issue still remains.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 658

Replies: 4

Tags

jitter
Related Articles