Deco M5 VR troubleshooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-19 17:12:03
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Recently we got some Deco M5's in our house to expand the reach of our wifi connections for 2 main reasons.

• We were having issues upstairs with connecting to our wifi (probably because ISP routers aren't great)
  • We were getting a VR headset (Oculus Quest 2) so the wifi streaming functionality of that headset could greatly benefit some access points close by.

I've had this setup for about a week. But I'm having 1 major issue. Which is that the connection for the wifi streaming isn't fantastic. 

We reach about 300-400 download and 40-50 upload speed wise with minimal latency (within normal ranges). But I'm still having issues with weird stuttering and lag while in-game. This is most likely due to the M5 dropping me from 80Mhz bandwith to lower 40 or even 20 while playing, resulting in lag issues. Is there any way to set a consistent bandwith (aka set it to 80Mhz permanently instead of having it on auto? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 VR troubleshooting
2022-12-19 20:37:41 - last edited 2022-12-19 20:38:11

@Miepasie 

There are no settings in Deco M5 to change channel width. Still, the Deco would not change channel width just because. It is possible your Deco nodes are not properly placed, or VR headset is too far, or other reasons.

If you want, I can help you to verify correct placement of Deco nodes and help with basic tuning of Deco mesh. This may, or may not resolve the issue you described. 

To help you with that, if you want my assistance, I will need you to tell me the following:

1. How many Deco M5s do you have?

2. Do you run Deco mesh in its default Router mode or in Access Point mode?

Also, Deco M5 firmware version you provides appears to be not correct. Would you please check it again. It may have been 1.6.1, not 1.1.1 you listed. 

Finally, please make and share screenshot from your Deco app with the list of Deco nodes, like this one I made of my Deco mesh:

Options
2022-12-20 07:52:59

@Alexandre. 
I can't send you that info currently as I'll be out for the day, I'll see if I can do so tonight. 

But the reason I'm thinking that my channel width is being lowered is because usually the VR performance is fine for about 15-30 minutes. Then it'll go downhill quickly. The VR headset has it's own dedicated 5G guest network with no other networks having 5G enabled and no other devices connected to that 5G network. So it's weird to me that the performance takes a sharp turn for the worse like that. 

Options
2022-12-21 09:03:33
i had a simular problem, connection dropping at random times. I found the problem was a bad UTP cable...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 3

Related Articles