X73 - Device MAC addresses and associated names

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 09:08:17 - last edited 2022-12-30 09:11:30
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Where are the associated names against all connected devices MAC addresses stored?

Are they stored on the router itself, or against my TP-Link account somewhere (in the app/cloud)?

Reason I ask is that I've just gone around my entire house switching devices/bulbs off one by one and reconnecting in order to identify each device to rename them to a more logical name in the Deco app. If these MAC Addresses/Names are stored on the router itself and If I was ever needed to factory reset the router, then I would have to do all this again, so it would be nice to have a backup/restore settings feature, if only to backup/restore connected devices/QoS settings etc.

Options
2 Reply
Re:X73 - Device MAC addresses and associated names
2023-01-03 09:34:53

@Hawkerpaul 

It should be stored on the router itself. I think you could also customize the hostname on the clients themselves. Not all devices support it but you should be able to set the device name on the mobile phones.

I do agree that it would be nice for Deco to support network backup.

Options
Re:X73 - Device MAC addresses and associated names
2023-01-03 13:15:29

@Heidi_Alp 

Thanks Heidi.

Yes, I agree, and all devices that I can do this with I have.

Its all those Smart bulbs are the main gripe, as they all come through with their factory name, so I had to switch each off and on in turn to try to work out which was which in order to give them a more logical name.

I guess I should have made a note of all their factory default names before I renamed them :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 353

Replies: 2

Related Articles