New Deco M5 - devices losing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-06 09:29:35
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

Having successfully installed a Deco M5 system in my own home and having it run for at least 6 months without any issues I suggested my mum do the same to get better wi-fi coverage.  So I bought and installed it this week.  Everything seemed ok when I left but since then she says that she has to reconnect their kitchen tv (SkyQ secondary box) every time they use it, their printer keeps going offline and her laptop was offline when she went to use it the other night (and struggled to reconnect).

I am techy enough to have installed it but not much beyond that so, having read other posts about assigning static IP's, I wonder if this is possibly beyond my expertise.  I have also read that the SkyQ box could be the problem so I have my mum checking for the update on that later today but the main TV with the main SkyQ box doesn't seem to disconnect.  It's clearly a device thing rather than the Decos themselves losing internet because the kitchen and lounge TV's both connect to the same Deco box (I have only installed a 2 Deco system as they don't have a lot of devices and that gave them good coverage throughout their house).

The other thing I found is that their old network still shows in the lists of wifi networks.  When I installed ours the only network available is the Deco one now, our old BT one disappeared which would make sense to me.  Is it normal for the old network to show up (a lot of their devices were still connected to it after the Deco install and had internet from it).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:New Deco M5 - devices losing connection
2023-01-06 10:17:45

Having read some more I realise I need to turn off wifi on the old router (mine is so not sure how I missed this step for mum), that I can sort easily.

Reading a lot of issues with the SkyQ boxes it looks like maybe powerline adapters are the way to go?  Neither box is near enough the router or deco units to wire them in so they would need powerline adapters to wire in to in situ.  Can this work with the Deco system as well and how do I set it all up?  Does this seem to solve the problem for a lot of people?

Thanks

Options
Re:New Deco M5 - devices losing connection
2023-01-11 09:43:09

@podsmum 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Powerline adapters could work well with Deco. Since the wireless coverage of Deco could almost the whole house, I think the powerline adapters without WiFi would be enough.

Take TL-PA8010P KIT, for example, it would work like a long Ethernet cable:

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 394

Replies: 2

Related Articles