TP-Link SG-1008D Speed Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-09 20:50:46

I'm using the Deco XE75 Pro Mesh units. The master unit is connected as follows: Router -- Deco master Unit -- Devices.

I need to hard-wire (CAT-6) four to five devices to the master Deco and was thinking of getting the SG-1008D switch, eight ports would be ideal. However, I'm a little concerned because some reviews on Amazon mention the fact that the SG-1008D is bandwidth limited and is not able to provide gigabit speeds. One of the devices that I will need to connect into the 8-port switch is a media player such as the Nvidia Shield Pro which has a gigabit port and I don't want to end up with buffering problems.

Reading through other similar posts, I have come to learn that some users have to restart the Switch for it to auto-detect a gigabit connection but that would frustrate me. I would rather spend a little more and get a super reliable 8-port switch that is built to work flawlessely.

Input from the TP-Link technical support team will be appreciated as I need to make a decision as soon as possible.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link SG-1008D Speed Issue
2023-01-09 21:27:39 - last edited 2023-01-09 21:28:30

@Samazar 

Personally... I wouldnt buy a home grade switch if capacity / speed is your thing.

Look at the Omada Range (business) as these are faster, more reliable and higher capacity if that is what you are after.   There is a big difference from Home to Business grade switches!

The one below for example has 16gb of backbone capacity, the "home" version doesnt say what it is which makes me thing LOW

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1008/v9/

Options
2023-01-09 22:24:59

@Philbert

Thank you Phil for your kind input.

Actually, all this is for a home but I want to make the right decision. Let me explain myself a bit better so that you are in a better position to provide advice.

The 8-port switch that I want is to extend the number of ports that my master Deco XE75 unit provides which happens to be 3 ports. That way I can hard-wire more devices into the master Deco unit which is wired to the router provided by the ISP.

This is what I need to hard-wire (CAT-6) ino the switch:-

1. Sonos Boost Module - this creates a separate mesh for the Sonos infrastructure.

2. Two Deco XE75 Pro satellite modules after adding them wirelessely - these two sat units are far away from the master and so a wired backhaul will help.

3. NVIDIA Shield TV to stream upto 4K content from Netflix, YouTube etc.

4. Cable boxes are now going IP so content will be streamed through an Android TV app.

Hence, I don't something overkill and neither do I want a compromise.

The TP-Link TL-SG108 is recommended in various reviews but I'm not sure if that is an old model or maybe it has been revised.

In any case, now that I've explained the purpose in a bit more detail, what would you recommend?

Options
2023-01-15 14:55:10

Samazar wrote

@Philbert

Thank you Phil for your kind input.

Actually, all this is for a home but I want to make the right decision. Let me explain myself a bit better so that you are in a better position to provide advice.

The 8-port switch that I want is to extend the number of ports that my master Deco XE75 unit provides which happens to be 3 ports. That way I can hard-wire more devices into the master Deco unit which is wired to the router provided by the ISP.

This is what I need to hard-wire (CAT-6) ino the switch:-

1. Sonos Boost Module - this creates a separate mesh for the Sonos infrastructure.

2. Two Deco XE75 Pro satellite modules after adding them wirelessely - these two sat units are far away from the master and so a wired backhaul will help.

3. NVIDIA Shield TV to stream upto 4K content from Netflix, YouTube etc.

4. Cable boxes are now going IP so content will be streamed through an Android TV app.

Hence, I don't something overkill and neither do I want a compromise.

The TP-Link TL-SG108 is recommended in various reviews but I'm not sure if that is an old model or maybe it has been revised.

In any case, now that I've explained the purpose in a bit more detail, what would you recommazar 

Options
2023-01-31 08:22:16

I did mess up the Speeds in my OG Post, the wanted speed is 25Mbit/s (25000 KBit/s) while the downloads are maxing out at 10Mbit/s on both devices connected to the switch. Any other device in the network reaches 25Mbit/s and connecting the "Switch devices" to the router directly also do acjieve 25Mbit/s

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 551

Replies: 4

Related Articles