iPhone not showing on Clients list

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-10 11:04:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

(not sure what "hardware version" my Deco M5 system is... but the Firmware version is definitely as stated... I had a look on the back of an M5 device and the HVID is M5V3 which I assume means hardware V3)

When I view the list of Online Clients in my Deco app (running on iPhone or Android), there are a couple of iPhone devices that never appear, despite definitely being connected to WiFi via the Deco M5 system... including my own iPhone 13 which I know for sure I have not (knowingly) set up to hide its presence from anything.

Is there a secret setting somewhere, either on the iPhone or in the Deco app, which will enable me to see all clients that are connected to the Deco M5 system?

Options
5 Reply
Re:iPhone not showing on Clients list
2023-01-11 07:58:14

@drmrbrewer 

Hi, Would it be possible that these Apple devices to be recognized as "Unknown" on the client list because the private address is enabled?

Can I have the model number of the Apple devices that do not show up on the client list?

If possible, could you please also help me submit the App log here:

How to submit Deco APP log

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-01-11 08:28:47

@David-TP there are no "Unknown" devices in the list either.  Come to think of it, there are several iPhone devices in our family and I don't recall seeing any of them on the list, at least not recently.

The model number of my iPhone device is MLPF3B/A.

I've submitted a Deco APP log as suggested, with a link to this forum thread in the comment.

Options
2023-01-12 11:19:02

@David-TP Having submitted my APP logs I now seem to be in discussion with someone from support (I assume not you?)... is there anything you need or can help with?  I upgraded firmware to 1.6.3 Build 20230105 Rel. 30141 and now my own iPhone 13 shows on the client list, but still no other iPhone device (despite there being a couple of others connected... including an iPhone SE model no. MXD12B/A).

Options
2023-01-15 22:21:16

@David-TP 

I can confirm the following.  An iPhone SE in our household is completely invisible to Deco... i.e. nothing showing on the Client list, not even Unknown Device or anything like that.

But now disable "Private Wi-Fi Address" as follows:

Settings > Wi-Fi > info (i) button to right of connected network > disable Private Wi-Fi Address

The device is instantly recognised as a new connection onto the Client list, with a name matching that set in the device settings.

So it definitely seems to be this feature which is preventing devices from appearing on the list.

I could understand that maybe this is just an inevitable consequence of this feature, but we also have an iPhone 13 and iPhone 11 with "Private Wi-Fi Address" enabled, and both of these do show up on the Client list.

Any ideas?

Options
2023-01-20 17:02:35

@David-TP (or anyone)... no further insight on this?  Is there no solution or fix?  It doesn't seem ideal that there could be devices (possibly malicious) connected to our WiFi that we do not know anything about.  I appreciate that this privacy feature of iPhones makes it difficult, but surely the Deco network must know that these devices are connected (because these devices are using the WiFi network after all and traffic is being routed to and from them), so surely something can be displayed in the client list, even if it is "Unknown" or something like that... in my case I just see nothing at all!

Options