A more powerful main Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-16 19:25:14 - last edited 2023-01-18 08:34:27
Tags: #Coverage
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

The M9 is my main. Allso I have 4 M5's (4 floors in the house). It works fine but could the speed and coverage be better if I changed the M9 (and placed it elsewhere) for a 'stronger/bigger' main Deco model? Is that possible.. does it make sense?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:A more powerful main Deco?-Solution
2023-01-17 19:48:11 - last edited 2023-01-18 08:34:27

@Alexandre. 

Totally agree with Alexandre

If you are bringing 1gbps internet you will need a more powerful device to handle that capacity, the current Deco M4/5/9 range are not designed to handle that speed of internet.

The M9 would be the best cheap option and may get you 600mbps, however you really should be looking to upgrade all nodes to WiFi6 Deco X devices.   Only the DecoX range would be capable of serving you anything close to 1gbps.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-17 20:35:46 - last edited 2023-01-18 08:34:37

@Kossie 

Thanks, that tells me everything I need to know.

As you may see from these screenshots, most of your Satellite Deco are properly positioned. I would only suggest moving 2sal Deco closer to Main Deco, if you can.

There is nothing else that can be done for improving Deco mesh with M5s you have.

A natural path of upgrade would be to replace Satellite Deco M5 with Satellite Deco M9 Plus. Currently, you may see Internet speeds of about 150Mbps-250Mbps on devices connected to Satellite M5. That speed should increase to 350Mbps-450Mbps with Satellite Deco M9 Plus.

You do not need to replace all your M5s at once. For example, if you only have two places where you want faster speeds, you can replace just their Satellite Deco M5s with M9 Plus. In these places speed will increase. Both Deco M5 and M9 Plus models will coexist in same Deco mesh with no issues, as long as your Main Deco is M9 Plus. 

If you need speeds faster than that, you should replace all your Deco units with Deco model that supports WiFi6. Also, that Deco model must be tri-band. Which means, in total: 5 Deco units, tri-band. Total Deco mesh upgrade.

Recommended Deco models: Deco X68 and Deco X90 or X95. 

Decos X90 and X95 are quite expensive, but if your budget could afford five of those, this is top of the line for WiFi6. If not, X68 can do.

You can also upgrade your Deco mesh with five Deco XE75s. This is one of the newest models, it supports WiFi6e, which should be faster than WiFi6. The note of caveat: it is somewhat new addition to the Deco model lineup and I have not seen enough feedback on how good Deco XE75 really is.

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:A more powerful main Deco?
2023-01-16 21:22:13

@Kossie 

What is the speed of your Internet connection?

Options
2023-01-16 23:37:39

@Kossie 

Changing the Main Deco would only affect the speed and coverage in that one area, by that i mean WiFi speed and coverage, not internet speed.

The P9 really wouldnt be much faster than what you have, something like the x20 or x50 would be a better consideration as they support WiFi6 (you are currently WiFi5).  However again this will only speed up the area connected to that one deco, if you want better coverage overall you would need to start replacing the older M4s with newer X20/X60 Decos.

Again however, this wont increase your actual internet speed par say.. unless it's being restricted by the WiFi.    For example.. If you have 150mb internet and you can get 150 around the house, a new Deco wont make any difference.  However if you have 500 internet and get 300 over the WiFi, a newer Deco would help you due to its faster WiFi

Hope that makes sense! :)

Options
2023-01-17 05:26:14
Options
2023-01-17 05:27:49
1000 according to provider
Options
2023-01-17 12:44:55

@Kossie 

With what you have replacing just Main Deco M9 Plus with more powerful unit will not meaningfully improve speed and coverage for your Deco mesh.

If you are interested in upgrade, there are two options that make sense for your Deco mesh:

1. Replace all your M5s with M9 Plus. This will provide you with reasonably inexpensive modest speed and coverage improvements, especially if you could sell M5s to offset cost of M9 Plus replacements.

2. Replace everything with Deco mesh that consists of WiFi6 capable units.

In some cases, small improvement in speed and coverage can be made by just repositioning existing Satellite Deco units, if they have weak link to each other or Main Deco.

For more detailed recommendations, including which Deco WiFi6 models can work for your Deco mesh, I'll need to see your Deco mesh layout: screenshots of Show List and Show Map from the Deco app. Here are examples from my Deco mesh, to show what I am asking you to share:

Options
2023-01-17 19:46:20
Options
2023-01-17 19:48:11 - last edited 2023-01-18 08:34:27

@Alexandre. 

Totally agree with Alexandre

If you are bringing 1gbps internet you will need a more powerful device to handle that capacity, the current Deco M4/5/9 range are not designed to handle that speed of internet.

The M9 would be the best cheap option and may get you 600mbps, however you really should be looking to upgrade all nodes to WiFi6 Deco X devices.   Only the DecoX range would be capable of serving you anything close to 1gbps.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-17 20:35:46 - last edited 2023-01-18 08:34:37

@Kossie 

Thanks, that tells me everything I need to know.

As you may see from these screenshots, most of your Satellite Deco are properly positioned. I would only suggest moving 2sal Deco closer to Main Deco, if you can.

There is nothing else that can be done for improving Deco mesh with M5s you have.

A natural path of upgrade would be to replace Satellite Deco M5 with Satellite Deco M9 Plus. Currently, you may see Internet speeds of about 150Mbps-250Mbps on devices connected to Satellite M5. That speed should increase to 350Mbps-450Mbps with Satellite Deco M9 Plus.

You do not need to replace all your M5s at once. For example, if you only have two places where you want faster speeds, you can replace just their Satellite Deco M5s with M9 Plus. In these places speed will increase. Both Deco M5 and M9 Plus models will coexist in same Deco mesh with no issues, as long as your Main Deco is M9 Plus. 

If you need speeds faster than that, you should replace all your Deco units with Deco model that supports WiFi6. Also, that Deco model must be tri-band. Which means, in total: 5 Deco units, tri-band. Total Deco mesh upgrade.

Recommended Deco models: Deco X68 and Deco X90 or X95. 

Decos X90 and X95 are quite expensive, but if your budget could afford five of those, this is top of the line for WiFi6. If not, X68 can do.

You can also upgrade your Deco mesh with five Deco XE75s. This is one of the newest models, it supports WiFi6e, which should be faster than WiFi6. The note of caveat: it is somewhat new addition to the Deco model lineup and I have not seen enough feedback on how good Deco XE75 really is.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-18 08:33:19

Thank you very much everybody for all your kind advice.

I now know all my options... THANKS!!!

Options
2023-02-24 09:57:05

@Alexandre. I have now bought 3 M9's to replace 3 of my M5s (I already have 1 M9 functioning as my main unit and router).

How exactly do I replace 3 of the M5s... just unplug the M5s, plug in the M9s and then.. how do I get them 'Deco integrated'?

Sorry for this simple question!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1124

Replies: 20

Tags

Coverage
Related Articles