How can I enable WPA2 and disable WPA on TL-WA850RE V2.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 00:21:05
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20160517 Rel. 51198

I have a TL-WA850RE configured as a repeater from a main router.

The main router uses WPA2/WPA3. When I connect to it directly it defaults to WPA2. All is fine.

When I connect through the repeater however the connection defaults to WPA. I know because my OS tells me (MacOS).
In the wireless section of the settings I only have the security setting for the main router (host router) connection not the repeated network.

How can I change my repeated network to be WPA 2 only?

I got a very unhelpful chat with technical support that was saying that the security settings are simply repeated. Which does not seem to take into account that I dont have any issues with a direct connection to host router only when I go through the repeater.
As anyone experienced this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:How can I enable WPA2 and disable WPA on TL-WA850RE V2.0
2023-01-19 07:39:59

@wextender 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I am afraid that TL-WA850RE 2.0 has been EOL for a long time and it is not likely to have a new firmware to fix the WPA issue.

May I know how long you have had the TL-WA850RE V2?

So if this Repeater is bought recently, it is suggested to get it replaced with a newer version, like TL-WA850RE 7.0.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:How can I enable WPA2 and disable WPA on TL-WA850RE V2.0
2023-01-22 03:45:35

@David-TP 

The extender was not bought recently and cannot be exchanged for another.

From what you are saying the only way to correct the situation would be through firmware update which wont happen because product is already end of life.

I was hoping there would be another way...

Quite strange behavior since WPA2 has long been the defacto standard for so many years now, and was already the standard for a long time when this extender was produced.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 2