Use UDP instead of TCP on Client VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-18 12:20:49 - last edited 2023-01-20 22:47:24
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220420 rel.47187(4555)

Hello,

I just got Archer AX55 and installed a VPN on it but apparently it uses TCP protocol instead of UDP, is there any way to use UDP ?
By using UDP with a VPN Tierce like HIDE.ME VPN my internet speed remains the same but by using TCP my internet speed is divided by 4 (test done from the VPN application not the router).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Use UDP instead of TCP on Client VPN-Solution
2023-01-19 21:56:46 - last edited 2023-01-20 22:47:24

@Lilouz 

The protocol is dictated by the VPN server.

For example, if you were to configure the OpenVPN Server of your Archer AX55, then you could set the protocol to either UDP or TCP within the user interface. The client will then have to use the same protocol as the server.

However, commercial VPN providers usualy provide more than just one configuration. Often they will offer several protocols the user can choose from.

In the case of OpenVPN the VPN provider should have separate *.ovpn files for TCP and UDP for download, unless they only support one of the two.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Use UDP instead of TCP on Client VPN
2023-01-18 19:19:03

@Lilouz 

Hi,

Have you already checked whether your VPN provider maybe offers a dedicated *.ovpn file for UDP ?

If not, then you could try to edit the *.ovpn file that you already have manually, but there is no guarantee that it will work, because other changes might be necessary as well, like a different port or so.

Anyway, below is an example of the first part of some random *.ovpn file. If there is one line that reads "proto tcp" then edit it to become "proto udp", save the file and then import it into your AX55 VPN client again.

---------------------------------------------------
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote vpnserver 1194
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
comp-lzo no
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
cipher AES-256-CBC
---------------------------------------------------

Options
2023-01-19 09:07:33
So to use one of these protocols, it happens directly on the configuration file not an option to check on the vpn interface.
Options
Re:Use UDP instead of TCP on Client VPN-Solution
2023-01-19 21:56:46 - last edited 2023-01-20 22:47:24

@Lilouz 

The protocol is dictated by the VPN server.

For example, if you were to configure the OpenVPN Server of your Archer AX55, then you could set the protocol to either UDP or TCP within the user interface. The client will then have to use the same protocol as the server.

However, commercial VPN providers usualy provide more than just one configuration. Often they will offer several protocols the user can choose from.

In the case of OpenVPN the VPN provider should have separate *.ovpn files for TCP and UDP for download, unless they only support one of the two.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-19 22:09:33
Thank you for this information. But my connection has dropped a lot when using OpenVPN with Express VPN & hide me VPN, is there any solution for that
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 493

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles