Deco X55 – “No internet connection”

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 00:41:16
Tags: #Issues
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

ISP – Brillband (via the CityFibre network)

FTTP/FTTH 910 Mbps

Connection type details supplied by ISP – Dynamic IP/DHCP (no VLAN required) IPv4 only

ONT (modem) Calix 810G Gigapoint V2

ONT connected to Deco X55 via Ethernet.

Got this yesterday to try and solve signal issues (as OpenMesh still does not support Ethernet back-haul)

First, switched off the ONT and unplugged the optical cable for 10 minutes.

Next, plugged back in the optical cable, and connected the 1st Deco unit to the ONT via CAT6 Ethernet cable.

Switched on the ONT, and once fully booted up, switched on the Deco.

Set up the unit via the App, but got a no internet connection status, and LED was static red, Yet the details page showed an IP address assigned by the ISP, along with Primary DNS and Secondary DNS.

Reset Deco and tried again by repeating above procedure. Still same issue.

Unplugged the Ethernet from the Deco and plugged back into the current Router (Archer AX55) and confirmed connection is working.

Tried to plug PC into Deco via Ethernet (after disconnecting PC from main network) to attempt manual firmware update.

However, the PC would not connect and only showed “Unknown connection” in Windows 10 Network and sharing centre. This also showed the PC was assigned an IP address by the Deco, but it was way out of the Decos range. I can't remember the precise details, but it looked like the Deco was 192.168.68.1 with a DHCP range from 192.168.68.2 to 192.168.72.255. The PC was assigned something like 192.168.248.0.

Also, the Deco App showed there were no connected clients, even though my phone (with the App) was connected.

I eventually got the Deco to connect to the Internet and update the firmware by connecting it to my Archer AX55 via Ethernet.

Once the unit was updated, tried to connect the Deco via Ethernet to the ONT, but again, no internet connection. Also tried to reset and start from scratch again, but no joy.

Our ISP asked me to ping their DNS, with a 50% packet loss, then advised there are some routers/mesh systems that do not like it when the DNS is made up of the same digits. For example, 2.2.2.2 or 3.3.3.3

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X55 – “No internet connection”
2023-01-23 15:55:48

@DavidR1974 

What connection type is your AX55 using if that is working? 

Options
2023-01-23 17:04:47

@klipse 

AX55 is connected to the ONT via Ethernet.

Options
2023-01-28 14:23:08

Very disappointed that no one from TP-Link has responded in a timely manner, especially as I have seen them respond to other posts here within a day.

I can only assume that either I received a faulty unit, that the claim on the box that it is "Compatible with all UK broadband providers" is false, or both.

Given that I also tried the Halo X70 system (sold under the Mercusys brand but still a TP-Link product) and had the same issue with "No internet connection" but an IP address was assigned, I am led to believe that TP-Link cannot make a true mesh system, with Ethernet back-haul, that is "Compatible with all UK broadband providers".

As such, I have returned the Deco and Mercusys systems to the retailer.

I will stick with the Archer AX55 and TP-Link extenders for now, and hope that EasyMesh with Ethernet back-haul is released for those units soon.

Options
2023-01-29 11:19:23 - last edited 2023-01-29 11:42:33

@DavidR1974 Hi, I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

I do wish I have checked this post in the first place and forwarded your case to our senior engineers at once.

I am sure Deco X55 could work well with Brillband, just like Archer AX55. But so far, I could not figure out what might be wrong with Deco X55.

If you could somehow get Deco X55 back one day, I have left my email address as well as the forum support email in the private message and you could reach out to us directly for further assistance.

At the same time,  I will pay more attention to see whether there would be any other Deco users who are on the Brillband service.

And I googled  Brillband a little bit(https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/forums/broadband-fixed-line.103/), some users mentioned it uses CGNAT. then I saw you mentioned the IP on PC is 192.168.248.xxx that is out of DHCP range. I wonder whether you have checked the IPV4 address on Deco X55 when its LED was red. I think the IP on the PC might get from the Calix ONT.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Wish you a happy new year.

Options
2023-01-31 10:28:36

The IP address on the PC was from the Deco as the ONT was not connected due to the PC and ONT being in different rooms, and the PC was connected to the Deco via Ethernet.

I did try different Ethernet cables to ensure this was not a faulty cable issue.

Forgot to mention that I also tried a direct Ethernet connection between my Laptop and Deco via Ethernet cable (without the ONT being connected) and had the same issue with "Unknown connection" and an IP address being assigned that was way out of range.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1309

Replies: 5

Tags

Issues
Related Articles