TL-PA7017 KIT V4 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-PA7017 KIT V4 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:TL-PA7017 KIT V4 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps
2023-02-20 14:42:20

@PeterM. 

I totally agree with the fact the theoretical is on the box that's not a problem, the problem is that the real world figures are so far away from that it should really mention something about the actual achievable figure on the box too rather than just put on the base of the box real figures will be lower.. 

With that statement how much lower would you really expect it to be that the stated 1000mbps? Try and be honest because I think I'd be inclined to say that if it's incapable of achieving 60% of that (or just over half) is it really honest marketing? 

I wouldn't have thought any general public would be happy with 20% if you actually inform them of that figure.. which is probably why it's not stated on the box as a real world figure

Options
2023-02-20 14:46:03

Also I am actually getting higher that advertised speeds from my internet provider, and In my case cables are all good as they transmit at correct speeds when power line isn't in the picture. 

Options
2023-02-20 14:56:34 - last edited 2023-02-20 14:56:55

Well, Peter says (and of course nothing against him or anyone else) that he's using 2400 mbps adapters and he's getting somewhere around 150 to 350mbps. If that's "good enough" for him, that's okay. Personally, if I'm getting 80-90mbps in the same room with my PC and Screen only working (and router), all on other plugs and nothing else on my house working.. that's not good enough for "up to 1Gbps products". So I'll just send them back, since I have this option. I guess it's a matter of what we believe is good enough.

Options
2023-02-20 23:19:47

@delijohn 

Hey all

Just to chip in with my 2 cents worth, from 15+ years of networking the simple answer is homeplugs are slow...  regardless of what model / manufacturer or speed they claim.

The reason for this is simply you are using electrical cables which are not designed for data traffic, while they work its a far from optimal setup.   You have to bear in mind that you are firing data over electrical cables...

1. There may not be new or clean copper.  As these are designed for electrical power, its not as specific a cable as required for data and therefore not made to data standards.

2. Could be going through filters, surge protection, breakers etc which will all reduce the speeds

3. Is also providing power, which causes noise and static on the lines.  This degrades the powerline performance

4. Are MASSIVELY susceptible to interference.  Again as these are not data cables being used and therefore they are not shielded, they act like a massive antenna and that adds interference.

In short, you are likely to get 25-30% at best of what they claim to offer, this will lower again as you add more plugs and longer distances.  

HomePlugs are simply NOT as fast as WiFi can offer you, if speed is your thing look at a WiFi6 or 6E Mesh setup.   When internet speeds pass 300mbps then homeplugs no longer are an option for most installs and will be a bottlenect, at that stage I would recommend against them.   If you are over 1gbps, running Cat6 cable is your only option really, if you are paying the premium for 1gbps internet then why are you not running appropiate cables to handle those speeds?    You wouldn't buy a Ferrari to drive it on dirt tracks.. spend the money, do it right!

However... one thing HomePlugs do well is consistency.   WiFi while faster can suffer from massive lag spikes, latency, drop outs and interference.   Homeplugs while slower are more consistent and offer lower latency connections in general, this can be good for gaming at home.

Options
2023-02-23 12:14:14

@delijohn 

Yesterday I received my kit and after some tests, I can offer the following:

My network uses 3 PLCs from another company, supposedly "the fastest on the market".  They are "up to 2400 Mbps" and use the G.hn protocol.  Not too long ago I ran some internet speed tests on them and was surprised to see only 150-200 Mbps while their PC utility showed some 850-1000 Mbps between the units.  My internet connection from the ISP is 1 Gbps.

I am currently breaking up the network into several VLANs. I decided to try the TL-PA7017P PLCs (which are much more economical) for reaching points where cable is not an option.  I ran the same speed tests with the new PLCs and this time the internet speeds were around 120-150 Mbps, only slightly lower.  This tells me the electrical installation is the big limiting factor and the units did well compared to much more expensive devices.

The only disappointing factor with these units is that they don't appear to have a web interface or an IP address and the only way to configure them is with the provided utility which can't do much.

Bottom line...  Don't expect great internet speeds with PLCs.

Options
2023-02-23 12:55:55 - last edited 2023-02-23 12:57:27

As a final word to all this, I'll add that plug-to-plug PLC is always a game of good or bad luck, hugely depending on how your house or appartment happens to be wired. Now, with HomePlug AV2 1200 series, as well as with G.hn wave 2 (2400), you have the option to put a central PLC into your main fusebox. Devolo makes those, they hook to all three phases, and if you feed your router into this one, you will see massively increased PLC speeds compared to an easy plug-to-plug setup. I've done this a handful of times, and speed increases have been massive, up to tenfold for the same PLC plugs in the same house. "All PLC vendors hate this simple trick", yes, except for the one brand that actually makes those. Caveat: Electrician required, and five slot units worth of space in your fusebox.

Regarding the web interface: No, HomePlug AV2 PLC chips do not have a web interface, in return they do not consume an IP address either. G.hn PLC devices do consume an IP address, and they do have a web interface.

Options