TL-PA7017 KIT V4 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 19:43:25
Tags: #TL-PA7017
Model: TL-PA7017P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 7017EU4.0_3_2_4_14017_BCM960350_tpver_701E14_190426_901

Hello, 

I received today this kit (pair). I connected it with the cables I found inside the box. Magically it paired immediately and I had network. Just to be 100% sure, I clicked pair on both devices again. I'm talking about a connection between two rooms. Speed showed 1Gbps in the windows connection details. Did a speedtest and speed doesn't go above 100mbps. It's like it's capped, so it dances around 95 to 101Mbps. 

Hours later, I finished work and I tried to test why the speed is THAT bad and wifi is STILL faster :) 

I remove the second device (not the base) and I connect it to a second computer AT THE SAME ROOM with the base device. Same room is also the power outlet. Directly to the plug, no power stip. They pair again immediately. I check the speed, 100Mbps now! angry Not kidding. 

Speedtest again, same bad result... 

I upgraded their firmwares... nothing. Same bad results. In the same room. I tried all power outlets in the same room. I reset the devices too. What else am I missing. Did I spend my money on a scam or what? I'm about to send them back to amazon, unless you have something else to suggest.

p.s.: to avoid any comments about my internet speed, I have 10Gbps fiber and I don't expect to reach this speed. But at least 700-800-900Mbps would be "good enough". I didn't pay these devices for speed less than my wifi. 

Options
16 Reply
Re:TL-PA7017 KIT V4 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps
2023-02-01 14:33:10

@delijohn Maybe you simply broke one of the cables - 100 Mbit/s works on two wire pairs, while gigabit needs all four intact.

Options
2023-02-01 18:18:34

@PeterM. I thought TP-Link included cheap cables, so I used a pair of cat7 cables, the same ones who just gave me this result on my wired pc. 

Options
2023-02-02 01:47:44

@delijohn 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I see you mentioned in the first post, one PG is on 1G/s link speed in Windows details and the one PC is only 100M/s. But both of them could not reach above 100m/s in the internet speedtest, right?

As for the speedtest over the cat7 cable(1960m/s-download, 2372m/s-upload), is it directly from your ISP main router?

Though TL-PA7017 is AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit with Gigabit ports, AV1000 is the maximum powerline link speed. Have you ever installed the powerline utility to see what is the current powerline rate between 2*7017 adapters:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-pa7017-kit/#Utility

Best regards.

Wish you a happy new year.

Options
2023-02-14 17:02:48

@David-TP hi,

yes, I've installed the utility. I upgraded their firmware also and I noticed that even on the same socket (both adapters), the speed wasn't more than 500mbps. In speedtests, that wasn't translating back to better speeds and I kept having ~125-140mbps. I tried even with better cables (cat7) and nothing changed. 

The much better speeds were with cable directly from my router, correct. 

Options
2023-02-15 02:17:21

@delijohn 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

" I upgraded their firmware also and I noticed that even on the same socket (both adapters), the speed wasn't more than 500mbps"

Do you mean the powerline rate on the utility is less than 500m/s?

Normally the internet speed is  30-40% of the powerline rate. If the powerline rate is around 500m/s, the final internet speed would be about 150-200m/s.

I think the current powerline situation is not so good and would there be many home appliances around, like a Microwave. washing machines? 

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-18 18:31:44

@delijohn hi, i have been having the same problems with the exact same products and thats after troubleshooting my whole home network.

i have done some digging and come up with this from tp link website

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2928/

it seems to suggest that they was never intended for the advertised speed and so will never reach that rate of transfer. 

i would be returning mine but i am too late to do so now.

i am only getting 180Mbps transfer using powerline between my pc and home server using iperf and also a data transfer test, however if i use a 1Gb switch between the two i am getting in the region of 850Mbps so this is clearly just a problem with the product and not being capable of the speeds on the box. 

I would be happy to try a fix to resolve this problem but am very doubtful that there will be one, i am already fully up to date on firmware so that doesn't bode well for any improvements.

i think for now its going to have to be a Ethernet cable installed between the two points to fix this issue.

Options
2023-02-20 13:18:50

@David-TP even if that was true (about 30-40% of the actual speed), I tested the most ideal scenario. In my living room, at the same power socket both powerlines. No washing machines or microwaves, since everything else like that it's in the kitchen or in other rooms.. 

I tend to agree more with @ryansyke and his comment. I'm not sure that the advertised speed should be 1Gbps, since I can barely pass 100mbpsm while connecting both devices on the same socket.. even if I connect one on another room, actual speeds are the same and the tool still says link is between 400 and 500mbps, no matter what I do. 1gbps is a theoretical limit, but when the actual speed is 1/10th, it's kind of.. ridiculous. :( I'll send them back, since I still have the possibility to do it. 

Options
2023-02-20 13:34:37

@delijohn A lot of what's being argued here is the usual misunderstanding of what's being advertized.

Now "up to 1000 Mbit/s" refers to the gross channel bandwidth, and there's an "up to" in front of it.

Obviously, just like with any other transport media that does not have a predetermined quality of carrier, you will never get anywhere near to the theoretical maximum in real life. Just look at your WiFi network's advertized max and your devices' actual connection speeds.

And then, also exactly like on any other shared-media channels (think WiFi, there's only one air for everybody in reach), it's either transmit or receive, and there's a lot of maintenance traffic going on just to sustain the connections.

Summing this all up, actual net payload throughput will be about 1/3 of the actual point-to-point channel bandwidth. Is it much less? Then you're facing a high packet error rate. This may be because your devices aggressively aim for a high connection speed, or because you actually do have disturbances (any cheap CCFL or LED lamps around? Ancient refrigerator? Cheap power supplies and chargers?).

In the case discussed here, where we use the simplest possible kit, the reported speeds are disappointing but actually realistic.

The fellows here who keep seeing "100 Mbit" being reported on the PC: This is the line speed from the PLC to the PC, not the PLC line speed itself. You guys have a bad cable or damaged connectors.

Options
2023-02-20 13:57:19 - last edited 2023-02-20 13:59:13

Ok @PeterM., according to your experience, how can the "up to" speeds be achieved? I'm talking about the best scenario EVER.

Living room, not other devices than a TV and a pc, which are on ANOTHER power socket. I find one power socket with three outputs (this is how it's done in Switzerland) and I plug in, two out of three sockets the two PA7017s. TP-Link tool, says connection between them is 500mbps. On my computer, maximum speed is 125mbps. Maximum means that I get it once every 10 speed tests and most of the times, I get 80-90mbps.

Can you explain what am I doing wrong? I've mentioned already that I'm using the cat7 cables I have for my 10Gbit connection directly from my router, to avoid ANY mistake with wrong cables. I tried of course with the cables included in the box. So what's the theoretical scenario, that can give UP TO 1Gbps? In an empty place, without any other device plugged in the whole apartment?

Options
2023-02-20 14:06:33
Well, for one, you obviously do not have "nothing else connected". There's your PC and its monitor right there, and there's an internet router or modem on the other end. Both of these are connected to mains through their power supply units. Near the PLCs, plug as many things as you can into the passthrough sockets on the PLC adapters. Use a powerstrip to get your entire PC onto that. And then, as I said, power off everything one by one to see whether a device is feeding noise back into the mains. Everything. Lamps. Chargers. Power bricks. Kitchen appliances. Oven. Hob. Fridge. See whether disconnecting any of these gives you a jump in bandwidth. That said, in a house with poor wiring schemes or just in an old house, maximum bandwidth may never be achieved, not even close. I'm currently using the very latest G.hn "2400 Mbit/s" adapters, five of these, bandwidth to most rooms hovering somewhere around 150 to 350. Is that good? No. Is that good enough? Yes. 4K TV streaming works, accessing my NAS from another room gives me about 100 Mbit/s payload throughput. So, one thing is to dial back on unrealistic expectations, the other is finding noise sources. Good luck! Peter
Options