Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 13:09:13 - last edited 2023-01-30 10:04:17
Tags: #shared storage
Model: Archer VR300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This is actually about Archer VR 200 but that isn't in the model list. Silly.

I want to change the volume and folder names of a shared HDD as the defaults aren't exactly user-friendly, but I can't see a way of doing this. Is there one?

If it makes any difference, my PC runs Windows 10.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?-Solution
2023-01-29 22:35:24 - last edited 2023-01-30 10:04:17

@ptoye1 .

Plug your HDD in a computer and create some folders with a File Explorer (or whatever).

Then plug it back in the router and follow Step 5 to share these folder (already created).

I believe this is the way it should work for you.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?
2023-01-24 20:01:32 - last edited 2023-01-25 12:08:38

@ptoye1 

You can't find VR200 because it's an EOL for a long time - its latest FW release is from 2016 - here.

If it's about this DSL modem router then use its user guide - Chapter 7.1 or this FAQ.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?
2023-01-25 11:20:42

@terziyski Thanks, that's the right router, but the UG doesn't tell you how to change the volume or folder names. The examples it gives all use Windows 7 (I think - not used it for ages) screen shots in spite of the fact that the router was for sale at least 1 year after Windows 10 was released. And none of them mention changing names. Hence my request.

Options
2023-01-25 16:32:30

There's obviously something I don't understand here. I've set up a sharing account and want to allow anyone on the network to access folders and files on the shared disk. I gave the network/media server a name:

Then I gave the server a new name:

Then I tell it to share everything and enable authentication and get:

I don't find understand the bits that I've ringed. Where did the 'folder path' come from? It's certainly not the G: drive on my PC (which is a partition on a local drive). Can I change the 'volume name' and 'folder name' to something more user-friendly?

Then, how do I access the shared folder from a PC on the network? Windows File explorer shows this (redacted) view of the shared device on the network. Clicking on SHARED_HD says that I do not have access permission. Does the sharing account/password have to be the same for both the shared folder and the PC? The FAQ certainly doesn't say so. Clicking on Shared_HD:1 and Archer_VR200 just open the web page on the router.

Sorry for such a long email, but I couldn't see how to make it shorter!

Options
2023-01-25 20:15:27

@ptoye1 

Turn OFF these two:

Then follow the Step 5 from the FAQ to select the shared folders and change their names:

Options
2023-01-27 17:29:07

@terziyski Sorry for the delay - yesterday was completely full up.  There's only one problem - I don't get the volume name. Just a blank when I click the down-arrow. The disk itself seems fine - at least it works if I plug it into a USB port on my PC. There are even some files on it (manufacturer information, I assume).

Options
2023-01-29 14:16:49

terziyski   Aha! I think I'm getting there at last. I tried rebooting the router and a G: drive appeared in the drop-down list. The User Guide gives no hint that you need to reboot the router when connecting a disk.

But the Step 5 that you mention doesn't work as I'd expect. There aren't any folders on the new disk and there isn't any way of creating one within the router UI that I can see. Am I right in thinking that you have to first share the whole disk, then create whatever folders you want using File Explorer (or whatever), and then remove the whole disk share and add the folder share? Seems a long-winded way to go about it, and it's certainly not documented in the UG.

Or have I missed something again?

Options
Re:Shared USB storage on Archer VR200 - can I change the volume name and folder name?-Solution
2023-01-29 22:35:24 - last edited 2023-01-30 10:04:17

@ptoye1 .

Plug your HDD in a computer and create some folders with a File Explorer (or whatever).

Then plug it back in the router and follow Step 5 to share these folder (already created).

I believe this is the way it should work for you.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-30 10:06:26

@terziyski Thanks - it seems a long-winded way to go about it, and it have been lovely if your solution had appeared somewhere in the UG. I should have thought of it myself - no excuses except old age...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 8

Tags

shared storage