Slow updates make it hard to recommend Deco anymore...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-28 12:31:52
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been a loyal fan of Deco for a while.

I have gotten over 10 families to switch over their families to Deco but I think i can no longer recommend it given that even expensive devices don't receive the latest updates...

The XE75 is missing a bunch of features that the M9 and M5 have....

The X20 hasn't been updated in over a year and it's missing so many features...

It seems as if TP-Link does not care to maintain older devices. The software release cycle should be the same for all devices.

Apple does not release iOS 16 for different models on different days. They all receive iOS 16 the same day.

Best,

Eduardo

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow updates make it hard to recommend Deco anymore...
2023-01-28 21:41:22
You are so right!!!
Options
2023-02-14 14:59:50

I agree. I have a network of 3 Deco M9-Plus + 4 Deco M5, both of them supported by the latest BETA versions that were launched in this forum (1.6.1 and 1.6.0 respectively).

Some thoughts:

1) My perception is that the level of product launches vs the level of product support is unbalanced (much more focus to launch and sell new things than to support what has been launched). TP-Link should understand that many sales come from clients that already have TP-Link products. Or from clients that READ this forum.

2) This strategy might be reasonable with stable and bug-free products or with products that are released with most major functionalities available, but it is not case.

3) To make things worse, certain products have different hardware versions under the same model and some of them are supported by different firmware versions, adding extra complexity to clients that cannot access new versions having the same products at home (eg case of Deco M9 Plus, with more than 4 HW versions).  

4) I really appreciate the availability of Beta versions in this forum, but it is really slow these beta versions evolve over time.  

Options
2023-02-16 15:02:04

@edumorlom Exactly...for some reason, Deco M5 and M9 plus have become the "flagship" of all Deco Models. They're getting all the "new" features first, the latest models with Wi-Fi 6E do not.

The "beta firmware" thing is nice, but it misses the point when it takes around 6 months to rollout the stable firmware.

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-02-17 22:44:24
Which Beta ig you have an x60 or P9
Options