Unstable network with 4 Deco M5, 1 router and 2 switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-29 14:24:44 - last edited 2023-01-29 14:26:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Hello,

I am facing a problem that I don't understand regarding extending my home network.

I am in a house with 1 floor.

Materials:

Internet by Fiber
Asus RT-AC88U router with AsusWRT-Merlin v386.9
Switch D-Link DGS-1016D Ver C2
Switch D-Link DGS-1024D Ver G2 (the 3 DIP switches are on off)
4 TP-Link Deco M5 (2 in version 1 and 2 in version 1.1)

Preamble:

The router has the address 192.168.1.1
The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
The router manages the DHCP server from 192.168.1.128 to 192.168.1.254
For some devices I assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.127

Deco M5 Kitchen has reserved IP address 192.168.1.6
Deco M5 Bedroom has reserved IP address 192.168.1.42
Deco M5 Floor1 Corridor has reserved IP address 192.168.1.16

I activate the 2.4Ghz guest network on the Deco so that my home automation devices can connect.

Here is the topology of my network BEFORE extension:

Explanation:

The Deco M5 Kitchen is in access point mode, and is the master for Familly (5Ghz) and Familly_Guest (2.4Ghz) WIFI networks. The Deco M5 Bedroom is in access point mode.
On the Deco application, I can clearly see the connection of the 2 boxes in Ethernet.

The Deco M5 Floor1 Corridor is in access point mode and is the master for Extension (5Ghz) and Extension_Guest (2.4Ghz) WIFI networks.

This setup works very well.

And now the topology of my network AFTER extension

Explanation:

I therefore use all the previous configuration and add the Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom to the Extension network in access point mode. And here the problems begin:

• the whole network becomes unstable
  • IPTV freezing
  • the Deco switches to red then green then red LEDs... suddenly wifi networks "jump"

So I can't use my network in this state. As soon as I electrically unplug the Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom, my network regains its stability.

Other configurations tested:

Instead of making 2 Family and Extension WIFI networks with 2 Deco masters, I created a single Main WIFI network with a single Deco master: Deco M5 Kitchen. 
Then I added Deco M5 Bedroom, no problem, added Deco M5 Floor1 Corridor, no problem, and added Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom and same problems appear...

Thank you for helping me fix this problem.

Do not hesitate to ask me for other information related to the ASUS router or others parameters if missing.

Regards

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unstable network with 4 Deco M5, 1 router and 2 switches
2023-01-29 14:56:56 - last edited 2023-01-29 14:58:02

@Yagrasdemonde 

D-Link switches are known to be incompatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. It is discussed here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Assuming you are not very excited of idea to replace 24-port switch with different brand, here are other options you could try:

1. Do not Ethernet wire Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom, leave it with WiFi backhaul. Configure it to connect to the nearest wired Deco, How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

That won't give you same speeds as Ethernet backhaul, but I expect it'll stabilize your Deco mesh.

2. Find inexpensive 5-port gigabit switch from TP-Link, connect both Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom and Deco M5 Floor1 Corridor to that switch, connect that switch to D-Link DGS-1024D. I can't guarantee that will work, but it is worth trying.

3. Try any other combination, where just three Deco M5 are connected directly to D-Link switches and fourth Deco is not. In Access Point mode you have substantial flexibility in how to wire Deco units, including to Asus router directly.

Options
2023-01-29 21:40:05

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your quickly response.

So to discuss about your suggestions :

1. Do not Ethernet wire Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom, leave it with WiFi backhaul. Configure it to connect to the nearest wired Deco, How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

That won't give you same speeds as Ethernet backhaul, but I expect it'll stabilize your Deco mesh.

=> I'll test this method tomorrow, but I'm afraid that the wifi signal of the Deco M5 master Floor1 Corridor is not strong enough to reach the Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom

2. Find inexpensive 5-port gigabit switch from TP-Link, connect both Deco M5 Floor1 Bedroom and Deco M5 Floor1 Corridor to that switch, connect that switch to D-Link DGS-1024D. I can't guarantee that will work, but it is worth trying.

=> The only small 5 port switch I have is a... D-Link (GO-SW-5G)!!! Lol.

I'll try anyway, but this solution, if it works, can't be permanent for me because I plug my Deco into the RJ45 sockets that are in the rooms. And in this case, in the corridor and the bedroom I only have one RJ45 socket.

3. Try any other combination, where just three Deco M5 are connected directly to D-Link switches and fourth Deco is not. In Access Point mode you have substantial flexibility in how to wire Deco units, including to Asus router directly.

=> I don't see how to connect the 4th Deco without going through the DGS-1016D or DGS-1024D switch, because Asus router is in an network bay in the garage, and after DGS-1016D I have sockets for each sockets in house.

How to know if TP-Link TL-SG1016D and TL-SG1024D routers support IEEE 1905.1 protocol well?
I can't find the information

Thnak you

Options
2023-01-29 22:09:33 - last edited 2023-01-29 22:10:43

@Yagrasdemonde 

>How to know if TP-Link TL-SG1016D and TL-SG1024D routers support IEEE 1905.1 protocol well? I can't find the information.

Even if someone reassures you they do, the safest option is to buy them from the place with convenient return policy. 

Also, before you buy you could call or email their support, why not:

Options
2023-04-04 09:34:38

Hello,

Finally after a long period, I bought a TP Link TL-SG1024D to replace D-Link DGS-1024D and all networks work perfectly.

Thanks to community to help me.

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 851

Replies: 4

Related Articles