Deco M5 very low WiFi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-30 18:46:02
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

Hi,

Deco M5 has very slow WiFi connection. I am connecting main Deco, which is connected to Internet with cable. If I connect cable to my Mac, I can see 120 mBit/s however, WiFi connectin of Deco gives only 45 mBit/s. Normaly, I switch off WiFi connection of main router because range is not sufficient. If I use main router WiFi, I can get 120 mBit/s without problem. 

Deco M5 is working in Wi-Fi Router mode but nothing change with Access Point mode also. I tested.

Another interesting thing is, when main router is connected to LAN port of Deco, I use another port with cable to connect my Mac. Speed is still low. I tested with different cables, result is same. 

Basically, Deco slows down the speed of internet and I don't understand why.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 very low WiFi speed
2023-01-31 07:38:15

@Goksun 

Hi, have you checked "Test internet speed" on the Deco APP to see how much speed you could get?

Please also check the QOS settings on the Deco to see whether it is the incorrect bandwidth limits the speed.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-01 08:10:02

@David-TP  

My internet speed is 250 Mbps from speed test of Deco. QOS is closed. The speed of connected iPhone is 40 Mbps with main Deco, even if I connect iPhone to satelite Deco, speed reduced to 24 Mbps which is understandable. But Main Deco can not be closer to internet speed. I attached screenshuts.

Options
2023-02-01 09:58:51

@Goksun 

Hi, Have you checked whether the iPhone is connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz? It seems like on 2.4ghz.

Could you please temporarily turn off 2.4ghz under WiFi and disconnect/reconnect to Deco, then check the speed again?

It is also suggested to refer to this link to change a different Deco as the main Deco:

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco

And I see you had the Deco for a while, did this issue just start recently?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-01 10:15:30

@David-TP 

I changed main Deco already. Because, I had cable connection with modem and I was using another Deco as main Deco. When I decided to use a modem with LTE (SIM card), I replaced with previous connection. I was using at that time a satelite deco because cable was near by another Deco. Speed was much more lower. Since it is possible to move modem with SIM card, I made a satelite deco as main deco because it is closer to living room.

I was not observed this speed problem before because internet connection was slow with cable modem. I am using modem with SIM card and connection fast. I realised this speed problem recently. 

About to test 2.4 GHz, I will do it and report you here. But I don't believe this is limit theoretical limit of 2.4 Ghz is around 450bps, I am near Deco and should be at least 200 bps.

In order to avoid interferences between modems, I switched of WiFi of LTE Modem. Because near to main Deco and connected via cable. If I use WiFi of LTE Modem, I can see more than 200 bps without problem with 2.4 GHz. I am sure because SSID of 5 Ghz is different for LTE Modem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 417

Replies: 4

Related Articles