Should I add another deco to the mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-01 05:45:56
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have setup 2 deco at home to form a mesh network, but I found out that the satellite deco on the 2nd floor didn't pick up much interest from the devices even thought it's back haul to the core deco with wire.  
if you look at the diagram here even though I have at least 4 out of those 7 devices living on the upper floor,  they just like to connect to downstairs.  Yes there are many more walls on the upper floor between the deco and where my devices sit inside my office room.  

I have no more network port available at home anymore so even though I can stand up another deco inside my office, it could only backhaul wirelessly.  

Will that setup improve overall performance of my network?   Would the 3rd device back haul to the one on 2nd floor or it will make itself down to the main deco.  

Options
9 Reply
Re:Should I add another deco to the mesh
2023-02-01 12:24:26

@my2108 

Adding another Deco to your mesh is not going to help with these devices. There may be other ways to convince them to connect to the closest Deco, and it depends on devices and what Deco models you have.

If you'd like me to figure what different options may be available to achieve what you want, this is what I need to know from you:

1. How many of these devices are stationary (such as TV, desktop) and how many are mobile (such as smartphones)?

2. What is your Main Deco connected to: modem or modem/router? 

3. Do you use Deco Guest Network for anything or is it off?

4. What are Deco models you have and their versions?

For the answer to the last question please make screenshot of System/Update Deco page from Deco app, example:

Options
2023-02-01 12:34:13

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for helping, and to answer your questions:

1. How many of these devices are stationary (such as TV, desktop) and how many are mobile (such as smartphones)?

Out of the 7 devices connected to down stair (the main deco), only 3 video cam are stationery.  All the others are moving objects like smartphones and tablet.

2. What is your Main Deco connected to: modem or modem/router? 

The main deco is connected to the home core router.

3. Do you use Deco Guest Network for anything or is it off?

I didnt turn on the Guest Network

4. What are Deco models you have and their versions?

Options
2023-02-01 13:26:58

@my2108 

This setup offers multiple options to try.

I suggest to start with the simplest. Do your security cameras support WiFi 5? If they do, my recommendation would be to turn off 2.4GHz for Deco Main Network, leaving just 5GHz. Signal on 5GHz is faster but travels shorter distances, which could convince devices connect to the nearest Deco.

After 2.4GHz was disabled, you might need to bounce (restart) security cameras to have them reconnect to nearest Deco.

This setting is under WiFi Settings/Advanced/Band:

Options
2023-02-02 00:36:31
Unfortunately my security cam do not support 5 GHz..
Options
2023-02-02 01:17:47

@my2108 

In that case, here is another option to try.

TP-Link offers beta firmware for Deco M9 Plus: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/574954

After you install it, the "preferred signal source" feature will become available in Deco app, see Part 2 of this document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Use that feature to configure stationary devices, such as security cameras, to connect to the nearest Deco unit.

Use that feature to configure devices such as smartphones and tablets to stay on 5GHz band. For smartphones and tablets you'll also need to disable "MAC address randomization" on them, for Deco Main Network SSID.

Note that this is beta firmware. It might have issues. TP-Link promises to release production version for M9 Plus, but they haven't yet. 

Options
2023-02-02 11:44:35

@Alexandre. Thanks!

Do you happen to know when the beta will become release?

Options
2023-02-02 13:39:56

@my2108 

I don't know when TP-Link will release new firmware 1.6 with that feature for M9 Plus. Beta firmware was around for a while, and TP-Link Support just promised that release is "around the corner." Which could mean anything, but hopefully some time this year. See https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/597712?replyId=1175190

Options
2023-02-04 12:18:03

@Alexandre.  Tks.

A side question : since each Deco only comes with 2 ethernet port, if I used one for back hauling, can I plug another switch into the remaining ethernet port so that I have more "wired" connection possible?

Options
2023-02-04 12:28:55

@my2108 

Yes, you can. Connecting switch to Deco Ethernet port should work just fine. 

Options