Using a separate DHCP server with a VR2800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-02 14:09:36
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a VR2800 on my network which, at the moment, is the sole provide of DHCP services.

I want to use my Synology NAS as the DHCP server so I disabled DHCP on the VR2800 and configured DHCP on the Synology.

None of my clients were able to obtain an IP address once I've made this change. The DHCP Relay option on the VR2800 says that it can only forward requests to the WAN interface so does anyone know:

1) Has anyone used a separate DHCP server instead of the VR2800?

2) Do I need to do anything on the VR2800 to allow this other than disable DHCP Server?

Many thanks,

Sean

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using a separate DHCP server with a VR2800
2023-02-03 04:19:55

@SPBonzo 

When configuring Synology DHCP server use this gude. Don't forget to set the Gateway as your VR2800 LAN IP address.

Despite the fact that 'DHCP Relay' forwards the local DHCP requests to a DHCP server that runs on the WAN side, have you tried to set the 'Remote Server Address' as the Synology NAS LAN IP address ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Using a separate DHCP server with a VR2800
2023-02-03 09:36:05

@terziyski 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did populate the 'Remote Server Address' with the IP address of the NAS but this made no difference.

WiFi clients attempt to connect to the VR2800 but fail with 'No connection' so I assume WiFi clients only consider themselves connected once they've obtained an IP address.

I'm beginning to think that the issue is with the DHCP service on the NAS as a search on the internet shows that others have experienced DHCP issues with Synology.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 2