Issues with Amazon Echo and Deco X50-DSL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-18 15:54:06 - last edited 2023-02-18 16:13:58
Model: Deco X50-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220908 Rel. 51031

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Deco X50-DSL from Amazon to replace my ISP-supplied router. I only have a small house, so decided to start with just the base unit as I figured the coverage will probably be fine without the need for any other mesh nodes.

The install process was very smooth and all of my Wi-Fi devices appear to be working well apart from one Amazon Echo device. It was working fine with the previous router, but now it's on the Deco network, voice commands are either very slow to respond or fail completely (either no answer or a response saying there is no internet connectivity). I have some Tuya smart bulbs linked to the Alexa app which I could reliably control with voice commands to the Echo with the old router. Now they are either very slow to complete or fail completely. I've tried all sorts to try and get it working, but it seems there may be some sort of compatibility issue with the Deco and this particular Echo. I had a read of some other posts on here reporting similar issues and tried everything that I could. Things I've tried so far:

1. Reboot the Deco
  2. Reboot the Echo
  3. Disabled beam forming on the Deco
  4. Disabled fast roaming on the Deco
  5. Checked for firmware updates on the Deco (none available)
  6. Checked for firmware updates on the Echo (none available)
  7. Ran the network optimization feature in the Deco app and selected the option to optimize (now showing no issues)
  8. Setting DNS resolvers in Deco app to default (ISP supplied), Cloudflare and Google
  9. Reset the Echo device and set up again using the Alex app several times (this either takes way too long or fails completely)
  10. Remove the saved Wi-Fi network from my Amazon account so I have to re-enter the details manually when setting up the Echo again

The Echo with the issue is an Echo 4th Gen. I can control my smart bulbs from the Alexa app on my phone with no issues, so it's definitely the Echo that's the issue. Other devices in the same room all connect to the Deco with good signal/speed tests.

I also have an Echo Dot 3rd Gen in the house in the next room that is working fine. I also have a Google Nest Mini and loads of other devices that are also working fine. There is one PC that I have to force onto the 2.4Ghz band to get a reliable connection, but this was an issue with the old ISP router as well, so not surprised it's still there after the Deco was installed.

The Deco has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band enabled (as did the old router). The problematic Echo device is connecting to the Deco using 5Ghz.

The Deco is in modem mode connected directly to the DSL filter on my telephone socket. I'm in the UK on Now Broadband VDSL. The Wi-Fi SSID and password is set to the same as the old router, so all my devices reconnected automatically. Unfortunately, I'm not at home at the moment, so can't grab the hardware version of the Deco, but I will grab it later and update this post. EDIT: Looks like there's currently only one version of the X50-DSL, so have set the hardware version to V1.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Issues with Amazon Echo and Deco X50-DSL
2023-02-20 03:48:46

@trinity3sixty 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I would like to follow up on your case by email. Please check whether you could get an email from me later.

Have you also tried to turn off "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP for Amazon Echo 4th Gen?

Are you able to reproduce this issue most of the time?

Please also set  Amazon Echo 4th Gen to high priority to see whether it made any difference.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-21 14:36:56

@David-TP thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have replied via email with the results of the changes you requested. 

Options
2023-06-29 10:48:15

@trinity3sixty did you manage to resolve your issues.

I've just yesterday setup a X50-DSL on Now Broadband and also have loads of amazon home automation devices, speaker,doorbells etc.   

So far so good but after searching for help with the dsl setup I came across this your post now has me worried. 

I have however split my wifi networks into two separate SSIDs one on 2.4gz and then the guest on 5gz so it match's what I had before.   All my plugs and sockets older devices are on the 2.4gz and then the media streaming, phones, tablets echos, pc are on the 5gz.  

Options