Deco XE75: no data when connected to Guest WiFi because using local DNS (pihole)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco XE75: no data when connected to Guest WiFi because using local DNS (pihole)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-18 21:23:57
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi!

I am using a local DNS server (pi-hole) which I set in DHCP server settings, so that all connected clients use this DNS. Works fine.

BUT... this local DNS server (10.0.0.2) is not available for devices connecting to the Guest wifi network. I guess this is because Deco shields the local network from Guest users.

Is there any way to get this to work? I can't find an option to enable access to the local network for Gues wifi devices, am I missing something?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco XE75: no data when connected to Guest WiFi because using local DNS (pihole)
2023-02-20 09:09:58

@Mikkelnl 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Under the wireless router model, the guest network is separated from the main network by default so there isn't an additional option to allow them to access each other. But there is under Access Point mode.

You could try to use Pi-hole as the primary DNS server, then use 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS server.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco XE75: no data when connected to Guest WiFi because using local DNS (pihole)
2023-02-20 09:43:39

@David-TP 

If I understand DNS server settings correct, there is no difference in choosing server 1 and server 2: clients randomly use one or the other.

So setting my pi-hole as DNS 1 and Google as DNS 2, would result in devices on the regular network to use the pi-hole sometimes, and device on the Guest network would randomly no respons...

Anyways, I found an easy solution: adguard and nextdns offer public DNS server with adblocking and phising, parental controls and so on, setting these DNS IP's works fine since they are external.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 433

Replies: 2