WiFi solution for Garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WiFi solution for Garage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WiFi solution for Garage
WiFi solution for Garage
2023-02-22 08:46:13

Hello, 

I am needing to find a Wi-Fi solution for my garage which is located about 150 metre from the edge of our house (which has a wireless router in it).  I live on a rural property and have just invested in a Tesla and require the charger to be connected to the internet. 

I am wondering if I need a mesh solution or if a powerline will suffice.  If internet does get connected then no doubt my son will also stream music and YouTube there as he is setting up a home gym there too.  I will also use it for Tesla updates and to communicate with the charger from the house. 

We use have Starlink connected but the modem is in another part of hte house.  We use the router to extend the internet to that part of the house. Budget is an issue given the investment in the Tesla. 

Any advice would be welcome. 

Felicity 

Options
1 Reply
Re:WiFi solution for Garage
2023-02-22 14:28:35 - last edited 2023-02-22 14:29:51

@Flikka 

If you can manage to bring powerline link to garage, you would not need WiFi mesh solution. 150 meters is a long distance even for powerline link, so make sure you get powerline adapters from the place with return policy.

Consider your garage an island when it comes to WiFi coverage. It is too far from the house to use any WiFi mesh benefits. There are powerline adapters which broadcast WiFi signal, you can get those. They are on an expensive side, so an alternative is to get a pair of powerline adapters with just Ethernet link and attach inexpensive WiFi router to powerline adapter in garage.

In case powerline link does not work over that distance, you will be very limited in other options on how to bring Ethernet and WiFi to garage and these options are usually quite expensive.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 1

Related Articles