TL-WA860RE firmware 221109 ARP issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-03 07:20:15
Tags: #Firmware Update #Repeater
Model: TL-WA860RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 221109

Hi all,

I just recently updated my TL-WA860RE to the latest firmware - 221109. After installing this software I started to get strange network issues like not reachable IP addresses inside my home network or sporadic routing issues. Turning the repeater off all network issues were gone and so I could focus on the TL-WA860RE.

After some time I figured out that if I use e.g. arping <IP-address> for the IP addresses that I cannot reach in my home network that the repeater answered to those requests. This resulted in two MAC answers for one IP address. It is difficult to reproduce this issue as it appears sporadically. Once I had it for my gateway IP address resulting in a loss of internet connectivity.

Actually this happens only with the latest firmware. I reinstalled the firmware 211208 and the issue is gone. I use the TL-WA860RE as repeater for my network. I cannot check if the issue occurs in AP mode as well.

Anybody else having the same issue or a solution to it?

Best Regards

Rene

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WA860RE firmware 221109 ARP issues
2023-03-06 20:17:14

@rene26 , I can confirm your findings.

I just was fiddling with my network for a day now. At least I decided to install the firmware and the effects have gone.

Options
2023-03-08 08:54:18

@BeBiMa @rene26

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it is related to the software upgrade and the new 221109 version does not change anything related to the ARP protocol either.

Except for the firmware upgrade, would there be any new devices that have configured a static IP address joining the network? 

It is also suggested to restart both the main router and 860RE once to see whether the same issue continued.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-08 09:01:28

@David-TP 

Thanks David for following up on this issue.

I didn't change anything on my network except the firmware upgrade of the TP-Link repeater. After I identified the issue I turned off all network components (router, switch, APNs and the repeater) and started them again to clear all ARP caches. It took about 4-8 hours and the error with the TP-Link repeater occurred again replying for IP addresses that are not registered in the repeater network.

After going back to the old firmware the issue didn't occur any longer (for about a week right now).

If I have some time during the weekend I can try the upgrade to the latest firmware version again to see if I can reproduce it once more.

Options
2023-03-08 10:27:08

@David-TP 

Thx for the quick reply.

For further investigations it would help to state the behaviour intended.

A minimal system consists of three devices: a router with DHCP server, a repeater ( DHCP off ), a device.

Device has MAC x, repeater has MAC y.

What MACs are sent to the DHCP server in requests of repeater and device?

Which MACs are used for ARP packets?

Which MACs are used in the 802.11 packets?

All these questions can be answered by investigation of an existing system. But without the knowledge of the goals of the implementation these results can't be qualified ( a verfication isn't possible without knowing the code ).

For simple administration of a network following conditions should be true:

1) MACs are unique IDs for a device

2) MACs do not depend on the way of packets between router and device

Condition 2 is necessary for identification of a device by the router. Especially for functionalities DHCP server, access control, firewall.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 521

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles