Archer AX20 DDNS access issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-05 11:53:27
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.53949(4555)

Hello, 

I have an external HDD connected to router via USB and I want to access it from outside my LAN, so I went to USB Storage Device and enabled Internet FTP option. 

I have secure sharing enabled, and under Dynamica DNS I have registered a domain name: 

The issue is that when I go to the registered link I get a "This site can't be reached" error :(

If I go directly to ftp://ipname it works, but since my ISP changes regularly the my IP, i can;t rely on this way of accessing the attached HDD. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 DDNS access issue
2023-03-05 17:32:13

@KodiaK 

Hi,

Please open a command prompt on your computer and then execute the command "ping ********tplinkdns.com". (replace the stars with your actual domain name)

Is the IP address shown by the ping command the same IP address that you used for "ftp://ipname"?

Given your problem description the answer is likely "no".

Now, can you judge if the IP address returned by the ping command is at least similar to your current Internet IP address (i.e. only the last few numbers are different) or if it's completely different (i.e. all the numbers are different)?

Options
2023-03-05 18:53:42

@woozle 

The IP returned by the ping request is the same as the Internet ftp one

Options
2023-03-05 19:22:06

@KodiaK 

But still, if you enter ftp://ip_address it works and if you enter  it doesn't work?

That really makes no sense to me. If ping returns the correct IP address for the domain name then ftp should get the correct IP address as well.

Options
2023-03-05 20:19:31

@woozle 

Well, I did not put any ftp:// before the DDNS domain name :)

Seems this was the issue. I thought I had to access it like a normal site, not like an ftp server

So, if I understand correctly, this domain name will work even if my external IP will change?

Options
2023-03-05 21:09:28 - last edited 2023-03-05 21:11:14

@KodiaK 

Yes, whenever the Internet IP address of your Archer AX20 changes the router will automatically submit the new IP address to the TP-Link DDNS server and then your domain name ********tplinkdns.com will point to that new IP address.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 5

Related Articles