Connection preferences for Deco x20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-05 15:05:34
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hey, I am currently experiencing some connectivity issues in my Deco x20 network. The problem is that my PC prioritises a Deco with a worse connection (further away) than the main deco (nearby). I found a feature called "Connection Preferences" but apparently, the Deco x20 does not support that feature at the moment.

Are there any information or updates of when this feature comes to the Deco x20?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connection preferences for Deco x20
2023-03-05 16:27:57

@lukasl 

The answer you are most likely going to get from TP-Link Tech Support managing this forum is "keep checking the forum for updates." They can't tell you what they don't know.

If your PC doesn't want to connect to nearby Deco, it means PC WiFi network driver has issues understanding WiFi mesh. This is not Deco fault and, also, it is possible that even if you can configure Deco mesh to tell PC which Deco to connect to, that same PC WiFi network driver will ignore Deco mesh recommendation.

Are you interested in hearing other options that might convince PC to connect to nearby Deco? If you do, please tell brand and model name of PC you have, what is its WiFi network card brand and model (if you know how to find that info) and if that WiFi network card does support WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 protocols (or only works with WiFi 2.4GHz).

As well, does your PC have Ethernet port and is it gigabit or 100Mbps port?

Also, if you are using USB WiFi adapter and not integrated network card, please tell which one, but in this case there might be limited options. USB WiFi adapters, especially older ones, are known for not playing well with WiFi mesh.

Options
Re:Connection preferences for Deco x20
2023-08-13 05:41:34

@lukasl we are in August 2023 and still no firmware update for v1, 1.2 on the x20 model. Last firmware goes back in 2021. I bought this model specifically to have my devices connected to a specific node but was very let down when I discovered that this option is not available. Come on TP LINK bring this model in 2023!

Options