Mesh.... only sort of

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh.... only sort of

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh.... only sort of
Mesh.... only sort of
2023-03-07 11:16:57 - last edited 2023-03-07 11:34:13
Model: Deco E3  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A little bit, um, no, very disappointed at the  Mesh advertising on TP Link hardware...

I buy a Deco X73-DSL, set it up and its great.

I buy another to sit at the other end of the house, all good so far.

Then I think, I need better coverage in the garage...a bit dirty and grungy, so don't want/need to put a Deco into that.

TP Link, claim their  Mesh is an integrated system, so I'll buy a small  TP Link Mesh range extender... it'll be easy.

Use the "Tether" app., which strangely says the router I'm connecting to doesn't support Mesh. The Deco,  Mesh, router, that is.

Nope.  Mesh is not  Mesh... its actually Zero Mesh between the TP Link ranges.

So if its not Deco (ie the more expensive option) forget about expanding with TP Link hardware.

* and yes, its in the small print on the set up instructions inside the box...

Options
4 Reply
Re: Mesh.... only sort of
2023-03-07 21:36:06

@CameraF3 

You have to bear in mind that a range extender is NOT a mesh device, its literally a repeater..   It takes in what is coming from the WiFi and repeats it out again.   For that reason its an almost passive device and wont appear in the Deco App as a node.    In short it will repeat and extend a mesh, but wont become part of the mesh as its not a node.. just a repeater

You would be better with a cheaper Deco node, something like the E4 or S4 as it will have the full deco node support and not just 'repeat the signal'

Options
2023-03-08 01:21:49

@Philbert 

no it's a TP Link , One Mesh extender. 
Thats really my whole point, the sales implication is that it works with the TP Link mesh system.

Options
2023-03-08 11:33:55

@CameraF3 

Hello,

"Déco mesh" and "one mesh" are based on two différent technologies : first is real full mesh , the second is an extension of the usual wifi architecture mode with a unique central Access point for which the extenders are made for. Extenders usually cannot Relay like Real mesh due to the penalty of heavy losses. Tp-link seems to know a workaround with one mesh. The two tech are not compatible. The first tech uses multiple radios like cellphones stations to get coverage , the second one uses muscles to irradiates all around.

Anyway, there's a publication about this incompatibility on tp-link blog.

Regards

Options
2023-03-08 21:14:25

@CameraF3 

Hey

@Eric_Le_Grompf has summed this up perfectly, yes they are both 'Mesh' in a matter of speaking but very different under the hood.. deffiantely not the same thing.   

If you are able to return the extender you should look at a E4 or S4 Deco in a single unit, these are the cheaper end AC grade devices but should be sufficent for what you require.   All Deco nodes work together without issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 367

Replies: 4

Related Articles