Doubt about wi-fi speed with WDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-07 17:40:27 - last edited 2023-03-07 17:41:47
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20220923 rel.62166(5553)

Hello!

I have an Archer C6 in my house and I used the "5GHz WDS Bridging" functionality to expand the Wifi coverage.

I have contracted a 300mbps plan with my ISP.

But, I would like to know if the following results are normal regarding the speeds tests results when connecting to the extended Archer C6 wi-fi:

- On a notebook from 2014 with 2.4GHz only ==> from 75~94Mbps in room around 10 meters of distance

- On a smartphone from 2019 with 5GHz ==> from 110 to 155Mbps in the same routers room

Operation mode is set to "Router"

The 2.4GHz is set to use channel width of 40mhz + b/g/n mixed

The 5GHz is set to use channel width of 80mhz + n/ac mixed

No Airtime fairness in both

DHCP enabled only in ISP router

Are these speeds ok? 

The coverage improved, but I would like to know whether I can do something else to improve the above speeds because when I was using Archer C6's wi-fi connected directly to my ISP router via WAN port I was able to get > 250mbps on 5GHz in the same room.

Thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Doubt about wi-fi speed with WDS
2023-03-07 21:44:01

@renankaic 

Hey

Yes in short that does seem around what one would expect for that setup.   The 2.4ghz is always slow in 99% of setups, so getting 75-100 is pretty decent and about as fast as i would expect, thats working perfectly.

The 5ghz... ok a bit more complicated.     Its rated for 866mbps speeds, in reality its a WiFi5 device so will likely be around 450mbps in real speeds.    Now you can half that straight away as its being repeated via the new WDS bridge, so around 225 is expected at the bridge end.   Add on the fact that you are sharing the airspace with other devices, so not getting 100% airspace all the time, take a bit more off for that so 150 is probably not outside the margins of the expectations.   To get faster you would need to either upgrade to WiFi6 or run a cable. 

WDS does work, however its not the fastest way as you are halfing the signal right away, sadly no way around this! 

Options
2023-03-09 23:02:51

@Philbert Thanks for your response!

Yes, indeed I lost a lot of performance on 5GHz devices.

But, I think that's all right because it really improved the wi-fi coverage in my house and the general speed.

Options
2023-03-09 23:06:03

@renankaic 

Yeah there is always a balance to be had between coverage and capacity, you can rarely have both!   So long as your internet isnt much faster than your WiFi (basically not crippled) then this should be fine.  

Once you start having WAN speeds over 300mpbs however you might want to consider a faster Mesh, something like the Deco range would be the next step up.  As you get to 1gbps then you are really only possible via cables or very expensive hardware! :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 289

Replies: 3