XE75 not Gigabyte speeds

XE75 not Gigabyte speeds
XE75 not Gigabyte speeds
2023-03-08 14:26:39
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a 1 Gbps connection and deco XE75 mesh routers.  With wifi on my iphone 13 pro i come to 650mbit speeds. (with my new macbook air m2 even slower around 359mbit)

The main XE75 is wired with an  1 meter FTP 7 cable and is sitting wide open in the room.  The speedtest is done 3 meters from the XE75 so there should be not many interference.     i recently updated my isp speed from 600mbit to 1gbps and the speeds are almost the same.  I disabled QOS and it makes no differance.

Wired my xbox series x and ps5 get the same speeds. While with xbox and ps5 wired directly to the isp modem i get 1gbps easy.

changed the utp/ftp cable from isp modem to deco makes no difference.   

Anybody any idea how this is possible?

Valk

Options
12 Reply
Re:XE75 not Gigabyte speeds
2023-03-08 14:46:17

@devalk 

If you have ISP modem/router, which seems to be the case from your description, consider configuring Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. In that mode, all content filtering and bandwidth throttling features of Deco mesh will be disabled. You should expect gigabit speeds on wired to Main Deco devices. 

See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Options
2023-03-08 15:15:21

@Alexandre. ok thanks, But is 650mbit with wifi the fastest possible with an 1gbps connection? or should it gen faster wifi speeds?

Options
2023-03-08 15:29:35 - last edited 2023-03-08 15:48:19

@devalk 

Short answer: you should get faster than 650Mbps WiFi speeds with gigabit Ethernet link and gigabit Internet speed from ISP.

-----------

Long answer: it depends.

You can't get WiFi speeds from Deco faster than Main Deco Ethernet link to modem/router. That is why removing what throttles this speed is the first step. Configure Deco to run in AP mode, wire PS5/xbox to Main Deco and run speed tests again. If you see speeds close to gigabit, the problem of the slow Ethernet link is solved.

WiFi speed will depend if client connects to Deco on WiFi 2.4GHz, WiFi 5, WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E. To find what maximum theoretical speed WiFi connection can deliver, check its Link Speed. Here is FAQ from TP-Link, a bit outdated but it gives an idea: How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Take 30%-40% off reported Link Speed, and that would be the maximum speed you'll see in speed test on that device. If this number is greater than gigabit, which should be for WiFi 6 and WiFi 6E connections, the speed test will be limited by the speed of Ethernet link and Internet connection, which should be gigabit in your case.

-------------

In summary: with everything working as it should and WiFi client supporting WiFi6 or WiFi6E you should see WiFi speeds in speed test close to gigabit.

Options
2023-03-08 19:01:49

@Alexandre. Ok thanks for the long and short answer 😂

but my isp modem/router does not have wifi 6. And i can not pit it in bridge mode.  So i turned of the wifi 2.4 and 5 on the isp modem.  
if i turn my deco in ap mode will i still be able to use wifi 6e?

Options
2023-03-08 19:37:39

@devalk 

Your Deco mesh runs its own independent WiFi network. Yes, it will keep providing WiFi 6 and WiFi 6E, regardless of what ISP modem/router does.

The recommended configuration for running Deco in AP mode:

1. Keep ISP modem/router in its default mode, do not switch it to bridge mode;

2. Turn off ISP modem/router WiFi.

You have that already. You are ready to try Deco in Access Point mode. 

Options
2023-07-22 09:41:32

@devalk 

The XE75 will generally top out at around 750mbs on wifi 6 ( 5ghz ) possibly little more on the 6e ( laptop with  Intel AX210 wifi card ) newer apple products.

I have near gigabit speeds and on the main deco sitting 4 feet away. But this is the rare occasions, generally its in the 400-500mbs mark on my 3 mesh units. 

Im guessing either the product hardware is not really that good or the current firmware is not optimized. currently you will never get consistent top speeds on Wifi on this product. Lan performance ( cabled is fine ) as it is full speed.  

This is real world testing over both the XE75 and the XE75 pro which i have owned connecting to the same ISP modem router in access point mode.

Options
2023-07-22 13:25:44 - last edited 2023-07-22 13:39:16

IntrovertSins wrote

@devalk 

The XE75 will generally top out at around 750mbs on wifi 6 ( 5ghz ) possibly little more on the 6e ( laptop with  Intel AX210 wifi card ) newer apple products.

I have near gigabit speeds and on the main deco sitting 4 feet away. But this is the rare occasions, generally its in the 400-500mbs mark on my 3 mesh units. 

@IntrovertSins 

When device is connected to Main Deco, check its link speed. If everything is right, for WiFi6 connected device its link speed should be over gigabit. How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Less that gigabit link speed could mean you are not running speed test right, such as: device uses WiFi5, device is too far from Main Deco, too much WiFi interference and so on.

You will never get Main Deco Internet speeds on Satellite Deco that uses wireless connection to Main Deco. This is not Deco problem, but limitations of WiFi mesh technology. WiFi mesh provides better WiFi coverage with multiple WiFi mesh units, but in exchange you will be losing speed. Satellite Deco is, in essence, WiFi range extender. Google "range extender cuts bandwidth by half" to see detailed discussions on that topic.

If you run Deco mesh in its default Router mode, different Deco configuration settings could impact speed. For example, if you carved bandwidth for priority device, the rest will get less speeds even if priority device is not connected.

For that reason, when testing Deco mesh speeds, I would recommend running Deco mesh in Access Point mode, to ensure there are no bandwidth throttling settings impacting speed test results.

Options
2023-07-22 15:27:46

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the reply, i have done numerous test with the XE75s over the last few months so my findings have not really changed with the product. Current firmware 1.2.6

Current test 22/07/2023  25 devices on network , 2 satellite units

Main Deco hardwired into isp modem router ( Cat 7 cable ) 

Laptop with a Intel(R) AX210 160MHz 

Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

WPA3-Personal

Network Band 5 GHz

link speed currently when checked 2042/1225 (Mbps)

Lan speed test was 958Mbs

Wifi speed test 5 ft away clear line of sight to main deco 5 speed test fastest was  750Mbps ( checked no other device using bandwidth at the time ) 

Deco in Access point mode when using Ethernet maxes connection so no problem with what the deco is receiving.  and "Use 6 Ghz Network for Dedicated Back haul" 

My own conclusion is the XE75 not really powerful enough for Wifi speeds over 600Mbps to consistently provide fast speeds when bandwidth is available and no restrictions ( Qos etc ) . maybe the XE200 would be better for near gigabit speeds.

I only have the one 6e device ( laptop ) so not worth enabling this currently 

Options
2023-07-22 21:36:07

@IntrovertSins 

I would suggest to try multiple devices for speed tests. If you only used laptop, there might be a problem with its network card or compatibility with Deco.

I am really doubtful WiFi6 Deco such as X75 delivers speeds less than I can get on my WiFi5 Deco M9 Plus. Sorry, but I still do suspect something might be wrong with how you tested.

Options
2023-07-22 21:50:40 - last edited 2023-07-22 21:51:26

Hello , thanks for the reply. Possibly may be an issue on my side , but tried the laptop , iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad 2021 being the newest devices I have and generally not seen speed closer to 800 down on My near gigabit connection .

Cannot really think of what to try to remedy this apart from waiting for some newer firmware or newer devices later On. I did swap the main deco with one of the identical xe75 satellites but same result . BTW - Deco M9 is a great system

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3122

Replies: 12

Related Articles