Deco M5 - Vodafone UK Gigafast Internet Setup Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-09 21:03:36
Tags: #VLAN/IPTV #PPPoE
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

Hello,

I have a number of Deco M5's, from V1 to V3.2. I've recently had Vodafone's Gigafast 900MBps fibre installed and was looking to try and bypass the Vodafone router and instead use the Deco to connect directly to the network.

I contacted Vodafone and have the username and password, but when trying it with the PPPoE settings, it does not connect. I just get a red light. I've seen a mention of a VLAN ID of 911, and so I have tried that against the VLAN and IPTV settings and neither works when set to that.

It may be that Vodafone have given me the wrong credentials, but I am hoping someone here has done the same thing and managed to get it to work? 

It doesn't seem to get any sort of IP address or anything. Just fails continuously. As soon as I put the cables back into the vodafone router and link that back through to my Deco.... it comes back to life.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Vodafone UK Gigafast Internet Setup Help!
2023-03-10 03:30:08

@Sjh88 

Hi, welcome to the community.

If there is a wired laptop, you are able to test by yourself whether the internet credentials are correct or not:

How to set up a PPPoE connection on Windows 8&10

If it works, you might not need an Internet VLAN ID for Vodafone Gigafast.

I also see someone mentioned here:https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/How-to-connect-a-third-party-router-to-gigafast-fibre/td-p/2675790

Normally the  PPPOE username and password format are ###@broadband.vodafone.co.uk   / ###.

It is also suggested to try to clone the MAC address of the old Vodafone router on the Deco after setting up PPPoE+Internet VLAN 911:

How to Configure MAC Clone on Deco if Deco fails to connect to the internet

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-10 09:46:49

@David-TP Thanks for your reply David! 

So, what I have done this morning is speak with Vodafone again, via Live Chat, to verify the details I was sent yesterday via SMS when I spoke to them on the phone. They do match (although the support agent gave them to me in COMPLETELY the wrong order/format).

So, then I went onto my router and went to the Status page where it lists the "Local network MAC address", I confirmed that this matches the MAC from the bottom of the router on the sticker too. 

I re-entered the user/pass in Deco under the PPPoE settings, I setup the VLAN 911 with priority 0 (as numerous people mention) under the VLAN ID, leaving IPTV disabled (is there anything I need to do here??). That didn't work, so then I did the MAC address cloning, entering the MAC matches that on the bottom of the router... that still did nothing.

I'm really struggling here and unsure what is going on. I couldn't get the credentials to work on my desktop PC when putting the WAN cable directly into my desktop either.... I set the user/pass and it wouldn't connect.

My connection is "serviced" by Vodafone but is a City Fibre installation.

Thanks,

Simon

Options
2023-03-13 19:16:09
Anybody else offer any assistance?? :-(
Options
2023-03-14 07:04:50

@Sjh88 

Hi, 

Have you ever tried to configure Dynamic IP on the Deco when bypassing the Vodafone WiFi hub, and connecting Deco directly to the fiber premise just in case username and password are not needed?

And I also would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check whether you have got an email from me.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 656

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles