How to remove a XE75 Pro node from a mesh and re-deploy on a different network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-11 23:09:10
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hello!

I have a new set of three very nice Deco XE75 Pro APs in a three-node mesh, access point mode, which works really well.  However, I found that I only need two nodes for full coverage, and I would like to permanently remove one of the "slave" nodes from the mesh and re-deploy it as an AP in a completely different network on a separate LAN.  (I have several independent wired networks)

At first I tried to remove the node using the Deco App on my iPad, but it still indicates the node is part of the mesh, and of course can't find it when it is powered down.  I then pushed the hardware reset button at the bottom, and the node booted up and eventually flashed  blue.

At this point, I could connect my iPad to its WiFi ... however - the connection always drops after a few seconds and the LED turns solid green.  I cannot use the "Add a Network" function of the Deco app due to the dropped connection.  The node no longer shows up in the "Other networks" WiFi list on the iPad.   I also tried all of this using the Deco app installed on my M1 Mac, but still get the same result ... dropped connection.

Of course, if I reboot the whole mesh, the node in question re-connects and re-joins the mesh when I disconnect it from the new LAN.

I should point out that the node's LAN port is connected to the new network before booting up, and the DHCP server for that network shows the Deco picking up an IP address.

So .... how do I

- 1) Permanently remove the node from the original mesh network's configuration

- 2) Get the removed node to stay connected with my iPad while I create a new network for it

I have tried a few tricks but nothing seems to work ... I have lots of network management experience but the Deco APs are new to me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Chuck

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to remove a XE75 Pro node from a mesh and re-deploy on a different network
2023-03-13 11:33:18

@chuckm2000 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The Deco units in the same pack/kit are pre-configured. So after the main unit has been set up successfully, the other one/two satellites will automatically join into the Mesh network without further configuration.

So in your case, here are some suggestions for you:

1. Power off the main Deco XE75 pro.

2. Then hardware reset the additional Deco XE75 pro.

3. After that, try to create a new network on the Deco APP under the same email account.

How to Create a New Network in the Deco App

4. Once the new network is ready, please power back the previous main Deco XE75 Pro.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:How to remove a XE75 Pro node from a mesh and re-deploy on a different network
2023-03-13 13:34:06 - last edited 2023-03-13 13:35:19

Thank you so much, David.

That is something I didn't know.  Pre-configuring the set of Deco's does make sense for users not familiar with setting up network devices, so in my case I'm going outside the design.  I'm certainly ok with that.

I will try your suggestion as soon as I have the opportunity to power down the Main node.  That should allow the extra node to stay connected long enough for me to reconfigure it.

I must admit auto-configuration is a smart design on TP-Link's part.

Best regards,  Chuck

Options
2023-03-13 14:36:50 - last edited 2023-03-13 14:37:19

Hi again, David.  I am happy to report that your suggestion worked !

I now have two independent wireless networks by "faking" the extra Deco into thinking it is a new Main node.  At first there was a glitch with the original Main never connecting with its single remaining mesh node, but a full reboot of the original mesh fixed that.

I know I'm going outside the box from the intended design, but it has paid off .... no need to purchase another pair of Decos.   Happy camper :-)

Chuck

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 3