Unable to connect to the l2tp/IPSec vpn from Android or IOS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-13 14:14:34 - last edited 2023-03-13 14:15:46
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20221208

My ax6000 recently got a software update bringing with it the functionality to host an l2tp vpn. Before that I could only host a pptp vpn.

That worked fine, if not for android 12 and up and IOS not supporting pptp anymore. I was delighted to see l2tp/ipsec support, but when I tried to connect to it only windows would connect. My android requires an IPSec identifier, which I can't seem to find what that actually means. On ios it's more or less the same story, the difference being there's a separate option for ipsec and l2tp, for neither of which I have sufficient info (IOS requires a secret?). Could someone help me?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to the l2tp/IPSec vpn from Android or IOS
2023-03-14 01:48:39

@LaurensHolthof 

Hi,

What do you mean by "My android requires an IPSec identifier"? Does it not allow you to proceed without it?

I have used Android phones for years to connect to a L2TP/IPSec VPN server at my home (although not a TP-Link router) and I never needed to provide an IPSec identifier. I just left that field empty, and the field "L2TP secret" as well, like in the picture below.

By the way. Some users have reported on the Internet that they were unable to connect to previously setup L2TP/IPSec VPN connections after they upgraded their phones to Android 13. I don't know if that could be an issue here.

Options
2023-03-14 08:32:27

@woozle 

I figured it was required, because it doesn't want to connect when I didn't enter any of that info. It also didn't say (Not required) in the text field.

I have no idea why it doesn't want to connect the the l2tp vpn, because pptp works fine.

Running android 11, but for futureproofing reasons I wanna set up the l2tp vpn

woozle wrote

@LaurensHolthof 

Hi,

What do you mean by "My android requires an IPSec identifier"? Does it not allow you to proceed without it?

I have used Android phones for years to connect to a L2TP/IPSec VPN server at my home (although not a TP-Link router) and I never needed to provide an IPSec identifier. I just left that field empty, and the field "L2TP secret" as well, like in the picture below.

By the way. Some users have reported on the Internet that they were unable to connect to previously setup L2TP/IPSec VPN connections after they upgraded their phones to Android 13. I don't know if that could be an issue here.

Options
2023-03-14 21:11:05

@LaurensHolthof 

For "L2TP/IPSec PSK" you should only need Server address, IPSec Pre-Shared Key, Username and its corresponding Password, even on Android.

When you tested it with the Android phone, was it connected to the same network as that Windows computer which was connecting just fine via L2TP/IPSec?

I don't own any iOS devices myself, but according to information provided on the Internet you should select "L2TP" type VPN, in the "Account" field enter the "Username" of the VPN Account you've setup on the AX6000, the account's password of course into the field "Password" and in the field "Secret" enter the "IPSec Pre-Shared Key". "RSA SecurID" must be kept off.

Options
2023-03-15 11:12:50

@woozle 

Yes I was connected to the same network, I've tried everything that I could think of, but it's not for a lack of access to the router from the web, because pptp works from anywhere.

Yes, I've tried filling in only the things I have and leaving the rest blank, no that didn't change anything. I just get an error. 

I have good news though, as the problem magically fixed itself on android. I didn't change a single factor, just tried reconnecting and it worked so yay I guess.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1886

Replies: 4

Tags