Deco M4 with different version (v2 V4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-25 11:35:46
Tags: #Firmware Update #Version
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

Good morning, I own a set of 3 Teco M4 in V4 version, I bought a second set of 3 but they are in v2 version, I have configured everything (updating to the latest versions) but you can't connect them properly, that is,
The main one is a v2, which carries the signal to the other two v2s which however do not connect to each other (which they should do) but they are both connected to the main one,
finally there are the two v4s that should connect to the two intermediate v2s, but they connect to each other and one of them connects to the main taking little signal being far away.
The two v4s have the ability to force a connection to a deco, but forcing it to the two intermediate v2s gives an error and they do not connect.
Is it a problem that they have different versions?
If yes how can I do it? I bought them both from amazon by doing product reorder so I expected easier compatibility.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M4 with different version (v2 V4)
2023-03-25 12:21:48 - last edited 2023-03-25 12:26:03

@Golfetta 

Different M4 hardware versions is the problem. TP-Link only has M4 V4 firmware that allows to configure how Deco connect to each other. When you added M4 V2 to your mesh, not only they do not have an option how to connect, but they have disabled that option for M4 V4. When trying to configure M4 V4 you will see an error message saying "Unable to save configuration."

If you need to configure how Deco units connect to each other, here is the way:

1. Delete new Deco M4 V2 from your Deco mesh. See https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/330 and follow "Reset a Deco unit"

2. With only Deco M4 V4 left in your Deco mesh, verify that you can configure and successfully save how Satellite Deco connects to other Deco. Meaning: that feature (signal source selection) is back and working properly. If not, escalate to TP-Link tech support as direct email or a new forum topic.

3. Return new set of M4 V2 to Amazon and buy a set of M5 instead. Deco M5s have signal source selection for all firmware versions. In performance and specs they are similar to M4.

For the reference, here is the current list of Deco models and hardware versions supporting signal source selection. You must have Deco mesh consisting of these models and their hardware versions only to have that feature work for you: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/597476

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 757

Replies: 1

Tags