AX55 Configuration for Movistar

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-29 19:07:29 - last edited 2023-07-31 17:13:59
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.7 Build 20230213 rel.74634(4555)

I am trying to configure the Archer AX55 to work with my Movistar service provider (Internet, IPTV, and VOIP).

For those who are not familiar with Movistar, please allow me to give you a brief overview. The company’s router (called a Home Gateway Unit, or HGU) has a built-in ONT and the 3 services are provided on 3 separate tagged vlans. The company’s router can be set to bridge mode, however the only vlan that is actually bridged is the internet service which is untagged in the process.  The IPTV and VOIP vlans remain in the HGU.

Most users leave their IPTV decoder (and telephone) connected to the HGU and only configure their router (such as the AX55) for internet which is pretty straightforward. A problem has arisen more recently where some IPTV services, such as Netflix, VOD, etc. require an internet connection. The HGU in bridge mode no longer has access to the internet and as a result, the user is left without some services.

There are 2 solutions. The first is to configure the HGU with a default route to the user’s router for internet. In many cases, depending on the decoder model, this is not always possible, such as in my case (and I have the latest HGU model). Additionally, the user’s router must be configured to accept the traffic coming from the HGU which is something I have not tried to do.

The second solution is to connect the decoder (and any SIP phones) to the AX55’s own network and route the IPTV (and VOIP) traffic back through the HGU. This requires some advanced settings in the PPPoE internet connection, adding some static routes in the AX55, enabling IGMP snooping and proxy, and setting a static IP address in the IPTV decoder.

Now to my problem in implementing the second solution. Everything works fine except for some handy features such as restarting a program from the beginning. Experienced “geeks” in other forums tell me everything should be working OK. Using Wireshark, I inspected simultaneously the packets on the decoder cable and the link between the AX55 and HGU, comparing the traces and it appears the AX55 may have a problem with RSTP. I did discover that if I place the decoder on the DMZ of the AX55, everything is perfect. In the moment that I disable the DMZ, the TV picture freezes (if in a playback mode). As the AX55 (and other TP-Link routers don’t allow SSH access, I can not pinpoint the problem in the router’s internal tables. 

Any suggestions or thoughts on the issue?  I would prefer to disable the DMZ.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX55 Configuration for Movistar-Solution
2023-07-31 06:28:48 - last edited 2023-08-02 03:51:06

For those who may find it useful, I have written a guide on how to configure the AX55 for Movistar IPTV services.  The guide may be found at:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617226

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:AX55 Configuration for Movistar
2023-03-30 12:10:00

@jra11500 

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed overview and instructions of the Movistar network.

As per your description and as per this thread previously posted by another user, it seems that Movistar may be special on the IPTV network settings.

From Axelsan's description, I understand that the IPTV port may require to pass through different VLAN packets, IPTV packets as well as internet packets. And also as Kevin_Z tried to explain, it seems the TP-Link router doesn't allow different VLAN packets to pass through via the same LAN port.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-03-30 19:30:57

@Liverpool20 

After reading the previous thread that you mentioned, please allow me to shed some more light on the matter.

When the user places the Movistar HGU in bridge mode (Monopuesto as Movistar calls it in Spanish), the IPTV vlan is not passed through to the user’s router. Only the Internet vlan is passed through with the vlan tag removed. The AX55 (or any other router) does not have to deal with vlans or vlan tags at all. The IPTV/VLAN option in the AX55 should be disabled as the HGU can not bridge the IPTV vlan.

In Monopuesto mode, the HGU’s LAN ports still work with the HGU’s own LAN (192.168.1.0/24) but there is no internet access. The Movistar decoder can still be plugged into the HGU and will receive most of the IPTV services. Other services such as Netflix, VOD, and “Timeshifting” of live channels require internet access and therefore don’t work.

The solution I mentioned earlier in the thread is working great. Today I confirmed that the AX55 is having problems with the RTSP protocol (used by the decoder when accessing the internet) when going through NAT, hence the reason for having to place the decoder in the DMZ. This is something TP-Link needs to address as the ALG RTSP setting (under Security in the web interface) doesn’t make any difference.

I might add that to circumvent the DMZ, I configured Port Forwarding in the AX55 to forward ports 1024-65535 to the decoder and everything is still just fine. At least now the well known ports are safer and not exposed.

Options
2023-04-03 06:07:01

@jra11500 

Happy to see you got them right and working finally. And thank you for showing us how the IPTV works in Movistar networks also. I appreciate all of your input here.

Maybe it's time for TP-Link to work it out now.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-07-29 20:20:34

It's been several months now since I posted some info on the RTSP problem encountered with some of the Movistar services.  I have found a slightly better and safer solution that uses port triggering instead of port forwarding or the DMZ,  Using port triggering, the needed ports are only opened while a session is active. Although not tested, port triggering should also allow more than one decoder on the network.  Only one decoder can be used with port forwarding or the DMZ.

Here are the settings:

Options
Re:AX55 Configuration for Movistar-Solution
2023-07-31 06:28:48 - last edited 2023-08-02 03:51:06

For those who may find it useful, I have written a guide on how to configure the AX55 for Movistar IPTV services.  The guide may be found at:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617226

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 687

Replies: 5

Related Articles