Cannot "Change Network Owner" for Deco E4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-11 18:40:29
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 Build 20211101 Rel. 75384

I have control of a TP-Link Deco E4 network which I want to transfer to a new owner (with 3 x M3 satellite plug-in units).

I've successfully done this before with a few TP-link Deco networks following the instructions here

With this particular network (Deco E4R as the main base station) the "Change Network Owner" option doesn't exist for me.
(The instructions mention it isn't possible for all models and will become possible with future firmware updates). I've made sure I have the latest version of the App and all the APs are up to date.

Does this mean, to change owner; I need to wipe the APs back to factory and setup again using the new account?

Thanks in advance

Options
6 Reply
Re:Cannot "Change Network Owner" for Deco E4
2023-04-12 07:13:15

@Looteater 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I see the release records of Deco E4 v2. Ever since 1.5.1, it has added the "change owner account" feature so the current 1.5.4 should support this feature as well.

I wonder in the mesh network of Deco E4 v2, do you have any other Mesh units, like Deco M3W?

If it is just a pure Deco E4 V2 network, please refer to this link to help me submit the APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-12 16:29:06

@David-TP 

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply... in this network I have:

1 x E4R

3 x M3W units

FYI: I don't know the hardware version of the E4R as i don't have physical access to it at present.  Is it's possible that it's a V1 and that's the reason the feature isn't available?

Are you thinking it's the M3W units that are preventing the "Change Owner" option appearing?  I'm sure I've swapped owners for a mesh network containing these before.

Regards

Al

Options
2023-04-13 03:48:56

@Looteater 

Hi, the 1.5.4 firmware is also the latest firmware for Deco E4 V1. So I think the hardware version V1 would not be the problem.

You are right and I tend to think it is Deco M3W that prevents the "Change Owner" option from appearing.

So if possible, I do hope you could test Deco E4 without Deco M3W(removing M3W from E4 Mesh) to see what happened.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-13 17:57:29

@David-TP 

Thanks David,

Am i right in thinking: if I remove the M3W devices using the Deco App, there's no way to add them back again without someone being there physically to initiate the reset / pairing?

Regards

AL

Options
2023-04-14 07:52:05

@Looteater 

Hi, I am afraid yes.

I have checked something else with the engineers and it is also helpful if Deco M3Ws are just powered off.

And if you are not in a hurry, you might consider setting "the new owner account" as a manager first:

What’s the difference between an owner account and a manager account?

How to add manager account of Deco

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-14 15:38:13 - last edited 2023-04-14 15:38:31

@David-TP 

Hi,

That's a great hint re: the M3Ws being turned off - I will give that a go when there's sombody onsite.  If that does allow the E4R to be changed to a new owner; I take it the M3Ws will follow suit when they're turned back on?

The person I want to transfer is already a manager with all permissions granted (so at least they can do what the need to for the most part).

Thanks kindly

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 365

Replies: 6

Related Articles