Latency issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Latency issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Latency issues
Latency issues
2023-04-15 17:40:34 - last edited 2023-04-16 20:53:35
Model: TL-SG108  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Hello, I recently had a new switch, model TL-SG108 installed and since then have been having high latency issues. The ping seems to be very unstable and constantly spiking over 50 ms sometimes to 100+ ms. Here are some test results:

Speedtest

Here a graph from a different site to see the ping fluctuation:

Running the trace route command hints that there is a problem somewhere in or after the switch:

I'm not sure if there could also be an issue at the ISP's side but I don't see any reason for a 20-30 ms delay on the way from the switch to what I believe to be the modem (or the transmitter?, not sure exactly, either way something local still connected via Ethernet cable)

I welcome any information on where that latency could be coming from or possibly how to fix it. I thought it could be the switch settings but this model is unmanageable. The only other thing that changed along with the switch was some sort of signal amplifier on the cable from the wireless receiver on the roof which had burnt down before. I don't think that could cause any issues here but it's extra information :)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Latency issues-Solution
2023-04-16 17:30:15 - last edited 2023-04-16 20:53:35

@Tomas_B 

Without being able to see the full traceroute its hard to say for certain, but from what I can see you have ruled out the switch as the issue straight away.

Traceroute works on ICMP packets and when used in traceroute it shows routers, not switches.   As the first hop is 192.x.x.x    this is your router and not the switch, by this time you have actually passed the switch already so this isnt your issue.

The 2nd hop to 172.x.x.x is the router "routing" the traffic to your external interface and wil always be a bit higher.   The rest of the list are pretty normal.

Looking at your pings, 155 max, 40 average seems nothing unusual and pretty normal for an ADSL line speed.   This appears to be just normal WAN latency and certainly nothing to be worried about, I would go as far as saying not a lot you can fix at your side..  deffinately doesnt look to be the switch, think timing is just a red herring.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Latency issues-Solution
2023-04-16 17:30:15 - last edited 2023-04-16 20:53:35

@Tomas_B 

Without being able to see the full traceroute its hard to say for certain, but from what I can see you have ruled out the switch as the issue straight away.

Traceroute works on ICMP packets and when used in traceroute it shows routers, not switches.   As the first hop is 192.x.x.x    this is your router and not the switch, by this time you have actually passed the switch already so this isnt your issue.

The 2nd hop to 172.x.x.x is the router "routing" the traffic to your external interface and wil always be a bit higher.   The rest of the list are pretty normal.

Looking at your pings, 155 max, 40 average seems nothing unusual and pretty normal for an ADSL line speed.   This appears to be just normal WAN latency and certainly nothing to be worried about, I would go as far as saying not a lot you can fix at your side..  deffinately doesnt look to be the switch, think timing is just a red herring.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 404

Replies: 1

Related Articles