Chaining Deco's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Chaining Deco's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Chaining Deco's
Chaining Deco's
2023-04-20 11:26:37 - last edited 2023-04-21 08:45:32

For the last few years, I have been using 3x Deco M5 and they were working great, but now one of the units needs replacement. As this model is old, instead of getting another M5 I was thinking of replacing the setup with a newer Deco line that also has HomeCare.

X60 3 pack looked like the only real choice, but it has proven challenging to find V1 and V2 versions that support HomeCare (it seems that all local stores are only stocking V3.x with HomeShield, and it is not realistic to order online and hope to get the version I need) 

Before giving up on tp link and Deco completely, I had one last idea, what if I buy a new HomeShield model, for example X80, but keep the main node on M5. It would look something like this:

---------------------------

Floor 2

X80 wirelessly connected to X80 on floor 1

Floor 1

Modem LAN connected to M5(main node) which is LAN connected to X80

Ground floor

X80 wirelessly connected to X80 on floor 1

As M5 (main) is on Homecare my understanding is that I would have HomeCare, and all I would need as I final touch is to disable wifi on M5 (no need to keep it running as I want to always connect to X80)

Would this work, and if it would how would I disable M5 wifi?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Chaining Deco's-Solution
2023-04-21 08:27:04 - last edited 2023-04-24 07:18:23

@Cali2 

Hi, here is some information for your reference:

Is it realistic to expect this functionality to be available on the app level any time soon?

Since this feature has not been approved by the developing team yet, I am afraid it would not be seen very soon on the APP.

If just related to HomeCare vs HomeShield setup, there is no difference for Deco X50 V1, Deco X60 V3, or Deco X80. 

Choosing Deco X50-V1 is a workaround to "turn off WiFi" on the main Deco M5 only and leave all devices connected to Deco X50.

Since the latest firmware 1.2.x on Deco X50 V1, supports connection preferences like 1.6.X on Deco M5. So you could manually select which Deco to connect which kind of makes the WiFi of Deco M5 "invisible" even though it is actually here.

But for Deco X60 or Deco X80, their latest firmware does not have this feature yet. So later once they created a mixed Mesh network with Deco M5, you would no longer see the connection preference feature on the Deco APP.

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Chaining Deco's
2023-04-21 03:40:25

@Cali2 

Hi, welcome to the community.

With Deco M5 as the main Deco and 3*X80s as satellite units, you could still have HomeCare.

But it is not allowed to turn off wifi separately on one Deco under the same Mesh system.

You might consider adding a 3*pack Deco X50-V1 if you could get this hardware in the local store.

With the latest firmware on Deco M5 and Deco X50-V1, you could customize the connected Deco for clients to make them all connected to Deco X50.

Or the OneMesh system, such as Archer AX6000+2*RE700X

Homecare-supported models:https://www.tp-link.com/en/homecare/#wi-fi-routers

Onemesh Compatible list:https://www.tp-link.com/en/onemesh/product-list/

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-04-21 07:03:45

@David-TP 

Tnx for your help. I will also look into Wi-Fi Routers OneMesh thingy. Apart from that, I still have a few questions related to the deco mesh setup

1. I am not sure I understand why you are suggesting Deco X50 V1, as this model it is not listed in the HomeCare supported model list (https://www.tp-link.com/en/homecare/#wi-fi-routers). Can you please add some details on how this specific model and version can help me.

2. When you say "But it is not allowed to turn off wifi separately on one Deco" did you mean it is not supported through the app, not supported by the firmware, or something else?

Options
2023-04-21 07:30:57

@Cali2 

Hi, 

It is the main Deco that decides whether this Mesh system uses HomeCare or HomeShield. So once the Deco M5 is the main Deco, the whole Mesh system will use Homecare even though satellite Deco X50 is HomeShield.

There are 2.4ghz and 5ghz on/off buttons on the Deco APP, but it is not allowed to turn both bands off spontaneously, so either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. And when 5ghz or 2.4ghz is off, all the Deco units(main and satellites) in the same mesh will disable their 5ghz or 2.4ghz.

Please let me if I have explained it clearly.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-04-21 07:54:57

@David-TP 

So the app doesn't support turning off wifi on individual nodes, but this is supported on the firmware level (as you pointed out there is an option to turn off wifi on all nodes, which basically turns off wifi on each node). Is it realistic to expect this functionality to be available on the app level any time soon?

Regarding X5 V1, I still don't understand why did you suggest X50 V1, why not X50 any version, why not X60 V3.x, or X80 which I mentioned in my posts? Is there any difference (related to HomeCare vs HomeShield setup) if I pick X50 V1?

Options
Re:Chaining Deco's-Solution
2023-04-21 08:27:04 - last edited 2023-04-24 07:18:23

@Cali2 

Hi, here is some information for your reference:

Is it realistic to expect this functionality to be available on the app level any time soon?

Since this feature has not been approved by the developing team yet, I am afraid it would not be seen very soon on the APP.

If just related to HomeCare vs HomeShield setup, there is no difference for Deco X50 V1, Deco X60 V3, or Deco X80. 

Choosing Deco X50-V1 is a workaround to "turn off WiFi" on the main Deco M5 only and leave all devices connected to Deco X50.

Since the latest firmware 1.2.x on Deco X50 V1, supports connection preferences like 1.6.X on Deco M5. So you could manually select which Deco to connect which kind of makes the WiFi of Deco M5 "invisible" even though it is actually here.

But for Deco X60 or Deco X80, their latest firmware does not have this feature yet. So later once they created a mixed Mesh network with Deco M5, you would no longer see the connection preference feature on the Deco APP.

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 330

Replies: 5

Related Articles