AX72 LAN Ports Query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX72 LAN Ports Query

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AX72 LAN Ports Query
AX72 LAN Ports Query
2023-04-23 17:30:28 - last edited 2023-04-24 03:12:23
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20220520 rel.75663(4555)

Just started setting up the AX72 5400 Router, linked to 2 x RE605X Extenders.

Everything seems to be running fine, I have setup my main network, plus GUEST on 2.4 & 5Ghz.

If I connect into any of the Lan ports, it shows I am connected to "Guest 2.4", yet I have not configured any sort of VLAN on any of the LAN ports.

I would prefer that anything plugged in, shows on the main network and not the guest network, is this possible??   Surely there must be some sort of config for it to set itself to the guest 2.4 network.

And on a slightly different vein, is there any option to lock down the Lan ports if required.

Many thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX72 LAN Ports Query
2023-04-23 18:39:55 - last edited 2023-04-23 18:52:04

@D95GAS 

Hi,

Do you mean the admin webpage of the AX72 is showing you are connected to "Guest 2.4"?
Or do you mean the operating system (i.e. Windows) is showing the connection name as "Guest 2.4"?

In case it's the former, then where exactly are you seeing this information?

In case it's that latter, then don't worry too much about it. It doesn't mean you are actually connected to a "guest" network.
I have noticed this behavior in Microsoft Windows as well, but I haven't been able to figure out what logic Windows applies to come up with the name that it shows for a wired network connection. Wired network connections itself don't have something like the SSID that wireless APs have.

You can't disable the LAN ports.
The only way to prevent any unknown devices from connecting is by setting up a Whitelist in "Access Control".

Options
2023-04-24 09:20:05

@woozle 

Windows connection showing "Guest_2"

Only if laptop is plugged in via RJ45, otherwise the connections show correctly on the Wi-Fi, its literally just when you connect by cable.

I guess a quirk of the system, perhaps sometime TP-Link might fix :-)

Thanks for your advice.

Options
2023-04-24 22:50:38 - last edited 2023-04-24 23:09:07

@D95GAS 

Well, I don't see how TP-Link could fix a Windows issue, but if it bothers you that Windows has named your wired connection after a wireless network that it was once connected to, then you could just remove the corresponding key from the Windows Registry using regedit.

Caution! In case you are going to do that be sure you are doing it very carefully. After confirming with "Yes" the changes are immediately being saved.

Windows keeps a list of all networks it has ever been connected to under
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
You have to click through every profile {.......} listed under there until you find the one that contains a "ProfileName" with the value "Guest_2".

After the correct profile has been deleted (you can also first make a backup of it via right-click -> Export) just re-plug the Ethernet cable and then Windows should name that connection "Network" or whatever the word for "network" is in the language your Windows uses. In case that laptop computer has been connected to other wired networks previously, then the name could also end up to be "Network 2", "Network 3" and so on. That name, however, could also be changed by editing the value of "ProfileName".

Keep in mind that if your AX72 still broadcasts a wireless network named "Guest_2" and you re-connect your laptop to that Guest_2 wireless network, then Windows would likely rename your wired connection again. (I am pretty sure in Microsoft's view this is intentional, and not a bug)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 381

Replies: 3

Related Articles