AX6000 v2 reboots with USB HDD bay attached and under load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-29 14:56:56
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20211118 rel.71177(4555)

So I bought my AX6000 about a month ago as I had a new internet connection installed and today have finally gotten around to setting up my USB NAS.

It's a 5 bay externally powered hard drive bay that's plugged into the USB port of the router. If it's connected all of the drives show up fine, I can see them and read/write to them on my macbook, gaming PC and steam deck as well as my Mac sees it fine for time machine and lets me setup a backup to one of the drive that I designated for it.

The issue arises whenever I start trying to write to any of the drives connected, after about 5 minutes, sometimes even less, the router will just reboot taking down the wifi and network connectivity. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a time machine backup copying a lot of small files or copying a single massive file it will reboot within 5 minutes or so.

While the top is warm to the touch, it doesn't feel any warmer than under normal operation and has never rebooted having 4+ devices fully utilizing the gigabit internet connection that I have

So far I've tried:

-Turning wifi transmit power to low

-Turning off QOS

-Turning wifi completely off

-Having only my time machine hard drive in the drive bay

-Tried both the USB C port and the USB A port

-Disconnecting all devices other than my macbook

-Factory resetting the router

Doesn't seem to matter what I do, it just doesn't want to last longer than that and I'm at a loss for what else to do

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX6000 v2 reboots with USB HDD bay attached and under load
2023-05-04 06:41:33

Hello @Aussiedax 

Can I know the brand and model of the 5-bay NAS? 

How much power does it require to work flawlessly?

Are you saying you enabled the Time Machine on the AX6000, and the reboot issue happens when you tried to do a backup? Does the reboot issue happens every time when you tried to do a backup or does it happen randomly?

How do you recover the connection? Does the AX6000 router recover automatically?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:AX6000 v2 reboots with USB HDD bay attached and under load
2023-05-07 16:06:01

@Aussiedax 

What's your Ex. HDD's time machine partition type?

I've AX73 and have reboot problem when use time machine with HFS+ partition.

My suggestion is try to format your time machine partition to NTFS or EXFat. it's less reboot problem but sometime had corrupt backup , Buy another router (support Time Machine) or buy NAS is better solution because my AX73 2 years old TP-LINK still cannot fix this problem.

Options