OpenVPN router deletes randomly certificate

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-01 09:14:06
Tags: #VPN #openvpn
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20221208 rel.45145(4555)

Hello,

I´m using OpenVPN for around a year. I created the certificates, export those and import the certificates on my phone in the OpenVPN client. After doing so the VPN connection works for a few weeks but every around 2-3 weeks the generated certificate is not working anymore and I have to redo all steps above to get it working again. It seems this issue comes from the router firmware but not 100% sure. This happens with the latest and the former firmware so it is not related to one firmware by my experience.

Is this a restriction of the implemented OpenVPN server? It would be great to have VPN connection for a longer period of time than 2 weeks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:OpenVPN router deletes randomly certificate
2023-05-01 16:07:44

@kirkdis 

Hi,

This is not a general restriction of the OpenVPN server. For example, on my Archer AX50 the certificates are valid for ten years.

How have you found out that the AX6000 "deletes" the certificate? Is it that the router specifically says you need to "Generate" a certificate first, when you just click the "Export" button?

If you are interested to know the length of the time period the certificates of your AX6000 are valid, then you could check that using "openssl". Linux should have it as standard and for Windows you could download a portable version of openssl.

Copy the certificates out of the "OpenVPN-Config.ovpn" file and paste them into two new empty text files. Then run a command like shown in the screenshot below.
You could also feed the OpenVPN-Config.ovpn file to the openssl command directly, but then you would only see the information for the first certificate in the file. 

It would be also worthwhile checking that the AX6000's clock always has the correct date. If the router's time/date is outside of the period of time the certificates are valid, then OpenVPN will also not establish a connection. Although a wrong router time should not result in the certificates to be deleted.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 1

Tags

VPN
openvpn
Related Articles