Clients only connect to main Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-01 19:22:00

I have a mesh setup with 3 m9 Deco and one M5 Deco. The main Deco is connected to a 5G router.

when i inspect my network in the app, it seems as all clients are connected to the main Deco and none to the satellites.

when looking at the network in the app, all seems fine and all Decos are connected.

i have an older tplink mesh network in another House, and here the clients are separated to different satellites in the network.

is it a problem if all clients connect to the main Deco?

Is there a setup I have missed?

we live in a standard house and the decos cover different areas in the house, so they are not far apart.

hope the deskription makes sense

thanks

PeterTheDane

Options
3 Reply
Re:Clients only connect to main Deco
2023-05-04 12:11:35

@PeterTheDane 

Hi, have you noticed any issues when all the clients are connected to the main Deco?

For the mixed mesh system with 3*M9 +1*M5, Which one is the main Deco, M9 plus or M5?

When I checked your TP-Link ID, I happen to see Deco M9 is still on 1.2.10 firmware and I think you might need to update its firmware first to 1.5.6:

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (method 3)

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-03 09:12:27

@PeterTheDane 

I have the same problem. Can't even find any info whether this just actually is a bug. 

Every client I look up has "Connected to: Uknown". But in the overview shows up under Main Deco.

I have Deco M9 Plus with three satellites (one wired, the rest wifi), latest firmware.

Options
2023-06-03 12:43:42 - last edited 2023-06-03 12:44:43

@PeterTheDane 

Is the Main deco set as a router or access point mode. So does the 5G router run the DHCP and giving out the IP address or does the M9 plus main deco do that as well ( creates a double nat situation and makes the network more complicated for devices. 

If your Deco m9s are up to date then you may have the option to set a preferred deco to a device. Mine deco m9s allow selecting a preffered deco and band for each device.  I would also turn check the status of the Smart DHCP option under the advanced menu in the app , mine is off and run the Deco in Access point mode as i have a ISP Router. 

Switch off the Deco M5 as this is the odd one out in case its causing some weirdness and make your firmware is all up to date. I do have a few devices listed in the app that show as unknown ip address but still work fine on the network. 

I have 3 deco M9 plus  over 3 floors and have had in the past all the devices connect to the loft decos ( furthest away)  leaving out the main deco on the ground so its does happen.

Options