Create a mesh WLAN with multiple decos throughout the house.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-03 21:55:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

in my new building all network sockets of the rooms are connected centrally in the technical room with a Netgear JGS524E switch. The Fritzbox is also connected to this switch, which acts as a router.
My set of 3 Decos selects the first as the main Deco and connects the others but despite LAN connection to the switch via WLAN with the main Deco.

For me this is kind of irritating because my home network installation is probably the most common case. How should I now connect the Decos to a separate network with each other via cable. The only way would be to connect them with 2 LAN cables to a double network socket and to spend in the equipment room an extra switch, on which then only these 3 Decos are connected!?

My goal is to build a WLAN mesh of 3 or more decos, but all have LAN access to the router / the Internet.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Create a mesh WLAN with multiple decos throughout the house.
2023-05-03 22:53:13

@MrBlonde 

Hey

This is quite a common question, easy answer also!

The problem you are going to have is the MAIN DECO is expected to be connected directly to the Internet router, not via a switch as you are using.  However that can be changed.

You need to switch your Deco to Access Point Mode, basically, so they work as 3x APs connected to the switch    rather   than One Main and 2 nodes hanging off it.   It also means your ISP router will provide the IP addresses.

More details here

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Options
2023-05-07 16:14:06

@Philbert 

Is it possible to connect x20 with m4 Devices via cable in this Mode?

Options
2023-05-08 10:05:11

@MrBlonde 

Yes all Deco will work together, you just need to bear in mind to set the encryption on your SSID to WPA2 not WPA3 else it will not work on the older M4s (they dont support WPA3)

I have a few users with a mix of WiFi5 and 6 devices in Access Point mode, works fine with WPA2

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 315

Replies: 3

Related Articles