Need advise for outdoor Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-04 06:56:33
Tags: #Outdoor Wi-Fi

Hiya!

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong category - this is my first thread here :-)

I'm looking for a solution to extend my wi-fi outdoors to cover e.g. the patio and garden. Inside my house I'm currently using an Archer AX6000 router with two RE605X extenders. What I need now is a weatherproof extender that can be installed on the outside, mounted to the house wall.

I had a look around on the tp-link website, but the only ones I could find are in the business section like the EAP650-Outdoor. Will they work with my current setup? Ideally I'd just like to get it connected to power without having to use a LAN cable, so basically it should work similar to my existing indoor extenders.

Appreciate any tips and recommendations you might have for me.

Thanks,

Daniel

Options
3 Reply
Re:Need advise for outdoor Wi-Fi
2023-05-05 07:18:00

@DanP76 

Hi, I've checked with our business team and some of the business AP has supported extender mode, such as EAP610-Outdoor, if you have any further question regarding the business level outdoor AP, please start a new thread under business section: Omada EAP Forums - Business Community

Options
2023-05-07 13:15:28 - last edited 2023-05-07 13:17:11

@DanP76 

On occasion I have installed and internal AP (non weatherproof) inside a plastic weatherproof box with no issues.   This might be an option for you?

Even one of the RE605x extenders as you say, all you need into the box would be power and seal the connection with a gland

Example below..  just for reference, check the size before buying :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/waterproof-adaptable-enclosure-electrics-connection/dp/B0151KNMB2

Options
2023-05-19 09:15:34

To extend your Wi-Fi coverage outdoors and maintain compatibility with your current setup, there are a few options you can consider. Here are some recommendations:

1. Outdoor Wi-Fi Range Extenders: While TP-Link's EAP650-Outdoor is primarily designed for business use, it is still possible to utilize it in a home setting. However, it may require additional configuration and setup compared to consumer-grade extenders. If you're comfortable with advanced settings and prefer a weatherproof extender, the EAP650-Outdoor could be a suitable choice. It's important to note that this model requires a wired Ethernet connection for power and data transmission.

2. Wi-Fi Mesh Systems: Another option is to consider a Wi-Fi mesh system that supports outdoor access points. TP-Link offers the Deco X60, a mesh system that includes both indoor and outdoor units. The outdoor units are weatherproof and can be mounted on the exterior wall to extend your Wi-Fi coverage outside. This solution offers seamless roaming and easy setup similar to your current indoor extenders.

3. Wireless Access Point with Powerline Adapter: If you prefer to avoid running Ethernet cables outside, you could use a combination of a wireless access point (WAP) and a powerline adapter. You can connect a weatherproof WAP, such as the TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor, to a powerline adapter installed indoors near a power outlet. The powerline adapter will transmit the network signal through your home's electrical wiring, allowing you to extend Wi-Fi outdoors without running Ethernet cables.

Remember to check the specifications and compatibility of the outdoor devices with your current Archer AX6000 router and RE605X extenders. Additionally, consider factors like range, weatherproofing, and installation requirements to determine the best solution for your specific needs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 398

Replies: 3

Tags

Outdoor Wi-Fi