Archer AX55 - USB External Hard Drive - Time Machine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-07 04:04:36
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Howdy folks,

I'm trying to set up a SanDisk Extreme 4TB Portable Hard Drive, connected via USB to my Archer AX55, for Time Machine backups on my computer. I can get the router to recognize the hard drive and share it, and I can connect to the hard drive at-will using Finder. So, not an issue there.

But Time Machine can never connect to it after initial set up. I got it to connect the very first time I ever set it up, and the backup started, but after a while the connection was lost and it never finished. Since then, I can't get Time Machine to successfully back up to it. It always throws an error that the connection cannot be made. Meanwhile, I have no issues connecting to the hard drive as if it were on a file server. Any suggestions?

Time Machine setting is enabled, drive location is correct.
  Username/password appropriately configured. (I input the Read&Write username when setting up time machine.

BackupTM (which is automatically created/named when you enable the Time Machine setting on the router, I presume?) is found and selected as the backup disk.

Time Machine is able to connect and requests login info. This is the info created and shown above in "Secure Sharing."

Connection is clearly successful, as it detects the backup created the very first time I got TimeMachine to work on this hard drive.

The blue bar cycles for quite a while (at least 5 minutes), while it says "Connecting to backup disk..." (Note, this is immediately after all the prior screenshots. No idea how or why the connection isn't already made?

After at least 5 minutes of attempting to connect, it throws this error.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 - USB External Hard Drive - Time Machine
2023-05-07 16:05:19

@Strygun 

What's your Ex. HDD's time machine partition type?

I've AX73 and have reboot problem when use time machine with HFS+ partition.

My suggestion is try to format your time machine partition to NTFS or EXFat. it's less reboot problem but sometime had corrupt backup , Buy another router (support Time Machine) or buy NAS is better solution because my AX73 2 years old TP-LINK still cannot fix this problem.

Options
2023-05-19 02:54:26

@Xess Thanks. The external HDD was formatted as EXFAT, since TPLink's firmware does not support APFS.

Options
2023-05-24 06:02:20

@Strygun 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community and providing all the detailed info.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options