App reports clients connected to wrong Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-08 18:21:58 - last edited 2023-05-08 19:09:22
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.65

I have a number of clients which the app reports as connected to the wrong M5 units.

This is not the same problem as users who want to choose which Deco unit a client attaches to because... the clients in question are connected via hard wired ethernet ports!

I have a PC and a NAS in my office which connect to a M5, which in turn is connected via ethernet backhaul to the main Deco downstairs.

The app reports that these devices are connected to the main Deco, not to the Office Deco.

Any ideas why this is and how to fix it?

Options
8 Reply
Re:App reports clients connected to wrong Deco M5
2023-05-08 18:46:47 - last edited 2023-05-08 19:03:22

@peterfreeth 

I do not want to appear nitpicking, but Deco M5 has two Ethernet ports. You can't have PC, NAS and Ethernet backhaul cable connected directly to same M5, that would require three Ethernet ports.

I, too, have M5s. They use Ethernet backhaul. PC is connected by Ethernet cable to one Satellite M5. Network printer, also by Ethernet cable, to another Satellite M5. I can see their connections reported properly in Deco app - by Ethernet, to corresponding M5s.

I also have M9 Plus with Smart TV connected to it by Ethernet cable - also reported properly in Deco app.

That means, yours is not a common case, and if you could give more info about your network layout that may help TP-Link support with figuring why you see that issue.

Options
2023-05-08 19:09:45
Ethernet switch!
Options
2023-05-08 20:01:54

@peterfreeth 

Please check if your Satellite Deco connected to the switch the following way:

Options
2023-05-08 20:04:37
No. Deco M5 units are directly connected. Ethernet switches connect off the second ports. On the main Deco: 2 x clients -> switch -> Deco : Works correctly 2 x clients -> switch -> Satellite Deco -> Main Deco : Works incorrectly
Options
2023-05-08 20:11:10

@peterfreeth 

Then, please run the following test. 

Power off switch. Connect single client, either NAS or PC, directly to the second Ethernet port of Satellite Deco.

client -> Satellite Deco -> Main Deco

Check in Deco app if client connection is reported correctly. If it does, the reporting issue manifests itself only with the switch. In that case, reply with switch brand and model name, and TP-Link support will see this conversation and have all information they need  - or might even know about this issue already.

Options
2023-05-08 20:27:33
Up until earlier today when I set up my NAS, I had this configuration: 1 x client -> Satellite Deco -> Main Deco Still the same, app reports client as having a wired connection but on the Main Deco.
Options
2023-05-09 07:26:28

@peterfreeth 

Hi, did you notice this issue recently?

Could you please refer to this link to submit the APP log here so that the engineer could help us check whether it is a remaining bug for Deco M5?

How to submit Deco APP log

And if possible, you could temporarily unplug the Ethernet cable between the main Deco M5 and satellite M5, then wait and check whether NAS switches to the correct satellite Deco. If yes, put the Ethernet cable back.

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

best regards.

Options
2023-05-09 11:35:42

@David-TP Forcing the M5 to connect over radio was a good idea. After a few minutes, the app then correctly showed the devices attached to the local M5. Now I have plugged back in the backhaul link and they have stayed on the correct M5. On radio the app said 'weak signal' even though the main M5 is literally downstairs, 20 feet away. I've noticed other devices connecting via wifi to a M5 at the other end of the house rather than one in the same room but it works, and I see the new connection option in the app.

Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 570

Replies: 8

Related Articles