Two ISPS, one household, any way of isolating?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-08 21:21:59
Model: TL-PA4010P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Not aware

Hello,

Please forgive my lack of understanding. 

I have two sets of TP-Link AV600 powerlink adapters, and two separate modems connected to two separate ISPs. 

Is there any way of isolating the AV600s into separate pairs so that one pair routes one ISP's connection, and the other pair does another?

Please let me know if any more information is required,

Thank you for interest. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Two ISPS, one household, any way of isolating?
2023-05-09 08:35:20

@georget2023 

Hi, let's say your 4 powerline units A, B, C and D, please pair them in the following sequence:

1. Plug in A and B only, pair them via pair button

2. Connect A to ISP 1, connect devices to B and test internet access

3. Plug in C and D, pair C and D via pair button

4. Connect C to ISP 2, connect devices to D and test internet access

Since A is paired with B only, C is paired with D only, there will be two separate powerline networks. 

Options
2023-05-11 16:38:51

@Sunshine 

Hello, thank you for your reply. 

I followed your instructions and was able to isolate the pairs of Powerline adapters from each other, however upon logging onto my PC today, I can see that one ISPs connection has overridden the other, and now I am connected to the wrong ISP via the powerline device in my office. 

As far as I am aware, no Powerline devices have been unplugged or re-paired with any other devices. 

Is there a way via software to make sure that this doesn't happen? 

Options
2023-05-11 17:57:03 - last edited 2023-05-11 17:58:28

@georget2023 

Hi,

What does the tpPLC Utility say? Are the two separate pairs of Powerline adapters still connected the same way as the day before?

In case they have somehow cross-connected themselves, then maybe do Sunshine's pairing procedure once more, but this time before you start first reset all four powerline adapters to factory defaults! (press and hold the Pair button for more than 6 seconds)

And maybe also note down the serial numbers or MAC addresses of the Powerline adapters and which one is connected to which modem and located in which room, so that you would always be able to confirm that every Powerline adapter is still plugged where it belongs to.

Options
2023-05-26 09:08:01

@georget2023 You know you can run multiple IP networks across one and the same physical network?

In other words, set your two routers up to use separate IP address ranges, make your endpoint devices use their designated IP range and not the other. That way you won't need two separate physical networks in the house, all the PLC adapters can join one PLC group.

(Yes technically, multiple PLC networks can coexist on one power domain. That doesn't work too well unless the PLC configuration tools expose the option of manual frequency band allocation - and I've only seen that once, in Devolo's long gone "Pro" series. So don't bother.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 406

Replies: 4

Related Articles