DECO X90 firmware update to support wifi band preference

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-10 20:01:57 - last edited 2023-05-10 20:04:15
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.16

Hi,

I was wondering why the X90 firmware will be updated to allow the preferred wifi band to be selected for a device. I found the following article (https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/3480/) which shows it's available for the cheaper M5 yet I can't find this feature for my X90 setup. I am finding that my devices will connect to the slower 2.4ghz band when the 5ghz signal quality drops to Fair even though the 5ghz still provides my full rated internet speed (I've confirmed by temporarily disabling the 2.4ghz band and I still get the full 5ghz speed even with a Fair signal). 

I would permanently disable the 2.4ghz band if it were not for my wifi printer requiring it.

Thanks,

Chris

Options
6 Reply
Re:DECO X90 firmware update to support wifi band preference
2023-05-10 23:50:19

@chrislot 

If you are willing to spend under $20 US for the temporary solution, here it is:

1. Buy very inexpensive 2.4GHz WiFi router, such as TP-Link N300 WiFi Router (TL-WR841N);

2. Connect it to the Ethernet port of the Deco nearest to your WiFi printer;

3. Configure it to run in Access Point mode. You can do that for TL-WR841N, if you get different brand/model, check that this option is available for it;

4. Connect WiFi printer to this router SSID;

5. You can now disable 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network.

When TP-Link releases X90 firmware supporting wifi band preference, dispose that WiFi router.

Options
2023-05-11 02:17:17

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a tp link router I could use, problem is that I don't have another ethernet port available on the nearest Deco because that's my main Deco and it is already using both ethernet ports (for the ethernet backhaul and connection to modem)

Options
2023-05-11 02:36:12

@chrislot 

Unplug Ethernet backhaul cable from Main Deco, connect router to it, configure router in Access Point mode and verify it works that way.

When it does, connect Ethernet backhaul cable to one of free router LAN ports. With a bit of luck, that should work.

Options
2023-05-11 02:41:54
Great idea! didn't realize it could work that way. Will give it a try and report back. I'm away from home for a few days so will try it when I'm back. Thanks again! Chris
Options
2023-05-11 14:22:01

@Alexandre. 

just wondering, would I need to configure the Deco to operate in access point mode as well or just the tp-link router?

Options
2023-05-11 14:41:10 - last edited 2023-05-11 14:42:06

@chrislot 

You will not need to reconfigure Deco. Think about Deco as your household main WiFi router. When you connect standalone Access Point to your WiFi router, you do not need to reconfigure main router.

Also, going through documentation on adding TP-Link WiFi router as an access point to existent home network, it'll help if you think of Deco as main WiFi router. They cover just that case: household has main WiFi router and another WiFi router is added in Access Point mode to it.

This is how things were done before the WiFi mesh, old school. :)

One more thing. WiFi 2.4GHz travels much greater distances than WiFi5 and WiFi6. If for some reason Ethernet backhaul does not work in new setup, connect tp-link router to one of Satellite Deco and see if perhaps its WiFi signal reaches your WiFi printer from there. 

Also, it is just printer, you may be able to move it a bit closer to tp-link router connected to Satellite Deco.

If nothing works, I have other suggestions to share, but first try these.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 724

Replies: 6

Related Articles