Red light of death - Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-10 20:21:15
Tags: #red light of death
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I got this system in Feb of 2022.  I set up two of the three units and they've been working great. We've had power outages a few times, no issues.  Then, one night a couple weeks ago we had no internet. I looked and realized both units had the red light of death. I tried the reset button on the main one, and it just gave the red light again. I tried reinstalling the app and reset everything and tried again, but still, red light of death. So i pulled out my 3rd one that was in the box still, hooked it up and everything worked fine. I just tried to set up the trouble unit as a slave unit and I got the red light of death.  

So, is this unit bad?  My other two are fine.  I don't recall the warranty but being that I've NEVER had a router go bad in my life (and I've only bought them two or three times I think), I don't think this should go bad after just 15 months. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Red light of death - Deco M5
2023-05-11 02:37:24

@Flying_NEB 

Hi, when you hold the reset pinhole at the bottom for 1s, will you notice any change of the LED status, like red--yellow--flashing blue, or it is solid red all the time?

It is also suggested to refer to this link to check whether this Deco could get into firmware recovery mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2958/

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-11 13:19:01

@David-TP When I reset it, it goes to solid yellow, and then to solid red. 

I'll check out the firmware thing and see if I can do that.  I know I can't access it at all via the app because the app can never find it because it's in "death mode", lol

Options
2023-05-11 20:01:12 - last edited 2023-05-11 20:29:00

@David-TP Well, those instructions would be helpful if I had two ethernet ports.  I have to have the inoperable deco plugged in AND I need internet access.  My PC that has ethernet ports is a regular pc; it doesn't have wifi.  So with the deco plugged in, I can't actually go to 192.168.0.1 like they want me to, because I have no internet access.  In order to do that, I have to uplug my deco.  So the instructions are a bit lacking.

I did both methods. Method 1 can be performed without needing internet access after you've downloaded everything. But, when I do that the light comes on yellow and stays yellow indefinitely. Firmware never starts to download.

Options
2023-05-12 06:42:00

@Flying_NEB 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

In this way, I think we might need to go for warranty service. I see you are from the US and the warranty for Deco is 2 years. 

You could refer to this link to register for warranty service:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/#Warranty-Support

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-12 16:17:36

@David-TP ok, thanks. 

Options
2023-05-31 18:51:35

@Flying_NEB 

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with the Deco M5 unit and the red light of Death. It seems like the unit you're having trouble with may be faulty. Since the other two units are working fine, it suggests that there might be an issue specific to that particular unit.

In terms of warranty, it would be best to check the documentation or contact the manufacturer to determine the warranty period and if the unit is still covered. They should be able to assist you further in getting a replacement or resolving the issue.

It's understandable that you're concerned about the unit going bad after just 15 months, especially if you haven't had similar issues with routers in the past. I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer's customer support for guidance and possible solutions.

I hope you're able to get this resolved soon.

Best regards,

Options
2023-05-31 19:12:51

@Flying_NEB So, after multiple trouble shooting tips provided here did NOT work, I was going through the warranty service and I tried setting it up one more time and low and behold it worked. Don't know what changed.  But it's all good now...after trying to reset it a half dozen times.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 479

Replies: 7

Tags

red light of death
Related Articles