X50-5G Router and Powerline PX-50 not working together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-11 17:04:36
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I just bought a X50-5G unit as a router with SIM Card and I already have three PX-50 that open up the network throughout my house. I used to have a 4G router from a different brand and had it set in passthrough mode. This router "fed" the PX-50 network. Now I have replaced the 4G router with the X50-5G. I know it does not have passthrough - but I was hoping it was smart enough to provide the closest PX50 unit with internet (which I wired to the X50/5G) and then this PX50 would distribute the signal via Powerline to the other units. However, what happens is that the X50-5G router is establishing a Wifi connection with each individual PX50 and is not utilizing Powerline at all. I need Powerline because the walls are to thick. How can I work around this? I would need to "force" the router to use the Powerline if the Wifi signal is weaker. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. As my setup currently operates it is worse than with the 4G router and unusable. Should the Deco Mesh not be smart enough to notice this?

Options
6 Reply
Re:X50-5G Router and Powerline PX-50 not working together
2023-05-12 05:28:48

Update:

I found out as a workaround that I can set up two different networks. One for the X50-5G and one for the PX50. Afterwards I use the X50-5G network to access the internet and connect the PX50 to it via wire. Unfortunately there is no passthrough mode. Are there any disadvantages with this setup? Any settings I need to optimize between the two networks?

Options
2023-05-12 06:53:20

@fischema 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It's great that you have found the other workaround. 

Like Deco P9, the HomePlug Powerline Mesh, the first P9/PX50 needs to be wired into the Mesh system in order to create a powerline mesh.

So the other workaround would be:

• Still create one Mesh Network.
  • connect the first PX50 via Ethernet cable to Deco X50-5G

As for creating two different networks, both PX50 and Deco X50-5G work as routers now so you would have two NATs which might help when you want to open a port for the devices on PX50. but you could try to put the second Mesh network-PX50 into Access Point mode:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-12 07:27:31

@David-TP 

Thank you for the quick response. I am not sure how I can create one Mesh only. It is obviously my objective.

The challenge is that I have to set a "Main Unit" for a mesh network but for Powerline and 5G to work, both would need to be the "Main Unit" as the Powerline only seems to work if the Main Unit is a PX50. Then again, the X50-5G can only be a 4G/5G router if it is also is the Main Unit.

The X50-5G now opens an mesh network that I don't use (called "kopfi_5g"). Then I have wired this unit to a PX50 which the open the main mesh network (called "kopfi") that the devices in the house are using. I have set the PX50 now in AP mode.

What is the additional step required to achieve the setup you described where I can go with one mesh only?

Options
2023-05-12 09:32:09

@fischema Hi, you might still need to add Deco PX50 as satellite Mesh units for Deco X50-5G--How to add an additional unit to your Deco network. And the first Deco PX50 could not be wirelessly connected to X50-5G this time, they need to be wired together. So the network layout is just the same as what you are with two different networks.

Options
2023-05-19 21:37:36

@David-TP , all

I have been running:

- the X50-5G in router mode in a mesh network called "network 1"

- the three PX-50 run in AP mode and are in a mesh network called "network 2"

- the X50-5G is wired to the PX50

The good news: it works mostly.

The bad news: Devices get regularly disconnected from the internet. E.g. I have a Google Mini as well as a Chromecast at home. When those devices are off and then turned on, they don't have access to the internet at first. It comes after a longer while only or if I go to the settings menu and directly re-connect.

Note: I used to have the PX50 mesh before with a fibre internet (not 5G) but in router mode. The fibre modem was in bridge mode. I never had the issue described there. So I assume it has something to do with the network settings. And as the only configuration that changed was switching from router mode before to now AP mode, I wonder if I need to change something else to make it work better.

I could also set both networks (network 1 and network 2) to Router mode. Would this be better?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Options
2023-05-23 11:35:21

@fischema 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the delay.

Have you tried the other suggestions:

1. Instead of having a different network, add PX50 into Network 1, and connect the first PX50 via Ethernet cable to Deco X50-5G in order to have Powerline Backhaul.

For the disconnection issue mentioned above, were you trying to say, devices like Google mini and Chromecast do not automatically reconnect to the Mesh network once powered on?

Would other mobile devices have the same issue as well?

Please try to turn off "fast roaming" and "beamforming" on Network 2 to see whether it helped a little bit.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 676

Replies: 6

Related Articles