Votes

Blocking new clients to connect

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Whitelist MAC filtering, please!. Please vote on the main thread.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread Whitelist MAC filtering, please!. Please vote on the main thread.
This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-15 14:40:09 - last edited 2023-07-11 09:09:04

Hi everyone,

Since a few weeks I have installed 3 Deco X50 for mesh-wifi. I have setup a wireless network and secured it with a password. All my wireless devices are connected to the Deco-network.
In my 'old' wifi network (Fritzbox) it was possible to configure that new devices couldn't connect. Even if the users have the correct wifi-name/password. Is this function available in the Deco-software also? I would configure this to have more control when new device ty to connect.

Kind regards,

Arjan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Blocking new clients to connect
2023-05-15 20:59:56 - last edited 2023-05-16 03:16:31

@ArjanBr 

You can't do that with Deco mesh, unfortunately. If Main Deco is connected to Fritzbox router, there is a workaround I can suggest.

Options
2023-05-31 16:58:19

Hi @Alexandre.,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the main DECO is connected to the Fritz Box. Can you tell me more about the workaround?

In the DECO, I can assign devices to a profile/family member. New devices aren't assigned to a family member, but they have access to the internet. I think there is some kind of default profile? Is it possible to config this default profile with no internet access?

Kind regards,

Arjan

Options
2023-05-31 20:19:31

@ArjanBr 

As I said, it is not possible in Deco to block new clients that have correct WiFi SSID/password. 

The workaround is to switch Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

This will transfer home network management to the ISP router, which is the Fritz Box in your case. Use "allow list" feature on Fritz Box to control who (which MAC address) has access to your home network. If this feature is not available on Fritz Box router, you may wish to get different router with strong content filtering features and "allow list."

With Deco mesh, these are only two feasible options: run Deco in AP mode with router doing all the work, or return Deco hardware if it is still under return policy and get WiFi mesh from the different brand.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 451

Replies: 3