Custom DDNS not working consistently for ER605

2023-05-16 23:18:25 - last edited 2023-11-17 07:00:59
Tags: #DDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3(beta)

I have two identical ER605V1 routers.  Both with the identical beta firmware load, both running off Docker based Linux Controllers which are both 5.9.31.  Both have dynamic DNS setups at freedns-afraid-org.  One updates just fine, the other insists it is always offline (same format/fields configured).  Of course, there are zero logs available to debug with.

So, since the the DDNS service is actually running on the router, the controller should have very little to do with it.

Both routers have 2 WAN ports configured, but only WAN is active on either (WAN1 is offline).  The only difference is one is DHCP assigned (working) and the PPPoE unit is in perpetual 'Offline' status.  I have a second DDNS client running on the same Linux host as the controller, and it is able to update just fine over PPPoE, so not connectivity.

The only thing I can think of is there is an issue with PPPoE, the ER605 and DDNS service.  Prove me wrong ;)

(see my other post in the Controller UI for how and why I had to munge my Custom DDNS settings--my other controller below works just fine this way)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Custom DDNS not working consistently for ER605 -Solution
2023-11-17 03:13:23 - last edited 2023-11-17 07:00:59

Hi @Naissus

Naissus wrote

Hi That is exactly what I did and still shows Offline end IP doesn't update.

Noted. I got a message from the dev team that this is a known issue.

Based on the email conversation, it is alleged that there will be another firmware update for ER605 V1 to fix some security issues and bugs. This one is considered as the bug fix in the next release.
Yet, I was not told about the ETA or release date.

Please pay attention to our official website or the forum pinned threads.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Custom DDNS not working consistently for ER605 -Solution
2023-11-23 22:40:31 - last edited 2023-11-24 00:49:51

@d0ugmac1 @Clive_A 

Issue is resolved after OMADA latest update 5.13.22

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Custom DDNS not working consistently for ER605
2023-05-17 07:14:01

@d0ugmac1 

have you tried the new ER605v1 1.3.0 that you have been waiting for smiley 

Options
2023-05-17 13:03:17

@shberge you betcha!

Options
2023-05-17 14:13:38

NOT FIXED IN 1.3.0 FIRMWARE.

Options
2023-05-20 03:26:36
I'm going same inconsistent resume with Google domains as ddns. It updates fine on initial setup then it does offline and never refreshed. Using v 1.3.0
Options
2023-11-15 18:37:44

@d0ugmac1

I have the same issue with PPPoE connection

Options
2023-11-16 09:50:01

Hi @Naissus 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Naissus wrote

@d0ugmac1

I have the same issue with PPPoE connection

Are you on the same version ER605 V1 1.3.0?

Controller version?

What's your DDNS provider name? And your URL format? Troubleshooting Custom DDNS Is Not Working

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-16 21:48:31

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your response

here is the info

ER605 V1 (firmware 1.3.0)

Omada 5.12.

DDNS URL

https://api.dynu.com/nic/update?username=[USERNAME]&password=[PASSWORD]&hostname=[DOMAIN]

Options
2023-11-17 01:04:12 - last edited 2023-11-17 01:37:31

Hi @Naissus 

Are you sure this is correct? I only found this on their website and it does not match yours.

https://www.dynu.com/DynamicDNS/IP-Update-Protocol

What is the source you get your URL?

Update:

In addition, can you please try to do this?

Set your WAN Connection Type to be Dynamic IP or any other type. Save. Then switch back to the PPPoE. Save. And try to connect your DDNS again on the config page.

Options
2023-11-17 02:11:25

@d0ugmac1

Yes that is correct when you use POSTMAN. And from postman is working no issue,

Omada will not accept URL in any other way if it not in proper format

https://api.dynu.com/nic/update?hostname=[HOSTNAME]&username=[USERNAME]&password=[PASSWORD]&myip=[IP ADDRESS]

Update URL must contain [USERNAME], [PASSWORD] and [DOMAIN].

This URL I am using coming from Dynu support page

TP-Link ER605 | Free Dynamic DNS Service | Dynu

Changing connection to static and back to PPPoE dint resolve the issue 

Still showing as offline

Thank you

Options
2023-11-17 03:03:30

Hi @Naissus 

Can you make sure that you follow the instruction, change to the Staic > Save > change to PPPoE > Save. Go back and review the DDNS and edit save and view the status?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1506

Replies: 20

Tags

DDNS
Related Articles